Cat proofing a tortoise table

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Cat proofing a tortoise table

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am

This comes up a lot. Cats are not normally a physical danger to tortoises (though we have encountered one exception), but they will use tortoise tables as litter trays.. and tortoises will eat it... this can transfer some quite nasty parasites. Unpleasant all round.

Simple method devised by Nadine:

This is based on those plastic coated metal plant growing grids you can get from garden centres. They are attached very simply using cable ties. This has proved extremely effective. You can see how it works on both vertical and horizontal faces from the above photos.

If you have cats, we highly recommend his approach.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Cat proofing a tortoise table

Postby sprout » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Does the plastic not dry out and split easily with the heat source in close proximity to it?
Kim
sprout

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 pm

sprout wrote:Does the plastic not dry out and split easily with the heat source in close proximity to it?
Kim

I don't know the answer Kim, but there is metal inside the coating. You will need Andy or anyone else who has used that system to answer! :?
Joan

Postby sprout » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks Joan - just know how plastic coated stair gates have cracked when used in our conservatory and the bits that fall off would not be nice for a tort :(
Kim
sprout

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 am

No. These are plastic covered wire. They cannot "dry out" as such. You could possibly over-heat them, but it would have to be very hot indeed. We used this system for about 3 years with zero problems. Nothing degrading or falling off at all.
Tortoise Trust

Postby sprout » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks Andy,
Not that I need it at the moment but the boys are going to a friend when we go on holiday and they have a cat!
Kim
sprout

Postby insenceaddict » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Can i just add, in defence of the poor cats :lol: :lol: we have 7 cats and a number of tortoises here, the cats will go into thier houses and lie in the nice warm substrate but never use them as litter trays as they will not poo where they wish to sleep! :lol: however, in agreement with Andy, if torts find poo in the garden they will eat it, just as they will carrion! i had to wrestle the remains of a mouse, a cat had left off one of my torts yesterday when she was out in the garden, dirty little mare! i ensure my casts are vaccinated and regulalry wormed but of course this does not extend the the neighbours cats, fortunately many of them dont come into my garden as mine will see them off!
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby pembstort » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 am

Haven't seen these while out and about, will have to keep my eyes peeled!
Ryan
pembstort

Postby PixelAdventures » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Would this deter them from using it as a litter tray?
PixelAdventures

Return to Housing and Habitat Design