Low temperature behaviour.

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Low temperature behaviour.

Postby Daryn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Crikey we are having better weather than you today Andy
Daryn the happy geordie

http://www.majorcaforum.com/ my pride and joy travel site and forum
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
Daryn
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Just shows... they were up and very active just a few days ago. Temperatures were 20+. Over last 36 hours, we have had rain, snow, bright sunshine and warm enough to wander around outside n a T-shirt... now more snow approaching...

Very typical for this time of year. They seem to cope with it all just fine, however!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm

No tortoises here, but this is a webcam feed south of us, at higher altitude. From the astronomical observatory there...
-6.4C!

http://www.caha.es/guindos/WEBCAM/EXTERNAS/ALL/all.html
Tortoise Trust

Postby AliTBimbo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Oh my goodness, lots of snow!!
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
0:0:1 TGI Spur Thigh Baby Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby khackwood » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

i am a real beginner, i did not put my tortoise out this morning as it was only 13 C, would they have been ok in that?
khackwood

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:57 am

Yes.
Tortoise Trust

Postby FLINTUS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Interestingly enough, I have seen my Serrated Hingebacks active at 13.5 before, eating and the male even trying to mate. I know in their native range it can often drop below 10, so interesting behaviour for a so called 'tropical' tortoise. People-including me- have also observed them slowing down with any temps much over 25.
2.2 Red Foots
1.0 Golden Retriever
1.1 Lop-eared rabbits
0.1 Cat
0.0.5 Goldfish
0.0.3 Jadatzi GALS
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks(Kinixys Erosa)
FLINTUS

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 am

It can get cold in the tropics.. I was caught up in a tropical storm once, and it was positively freezing.... and some other tortoises from areas where you might think it would be warm all the time do have unexpected cold spells. Even Leopard tortoise habitat in South Africa.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Magnificent. I would like to know do they keep warm by burrowing of by moving? It seems they do not cover themselves in an insulating barrier, so that must be counted out. It is very easy to work yourself into a sweat at -40'Cif you work hard. For example, cutting down and clearing timber is so heavy work that you are All sweaty even in --40'C. After a wintery day in the timberland, if will be hard to sit at the dinner table. The normal room temperature can feel suffocating! On the other hand, snow is the best insulator ever discovered, and you can easily have several degrees above zero in a snow hut even if the outside temps are -40'Cish.

We walk barefooted in the snow as soon as we get a decent amount of it. In the first weeks, your feet feel the pain of extreme coldness, but that subsides very quickly as adaptation kicks in. When adapted to the chill, you do not really feel anything. In the spring, having practised standind in snow for months, you can stand barefooted in the snow for 20 minutes without feeling any discomfort.

Nevertheless, I would not put my tortoise through this adaptation process. We people can speak and complain if something feels excessively hard. Poor Bolt has no way of signalling that the frost is eating him alive... His feet are very bare and I do not know if he is able to fire up a heating system to compensate for the chill. He is exothermic, after all.
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Stuart » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Kaarina.rantala wrote: ...I would not put my tortoise through this adaptation process. We people can speak and complain if something feels excessively hard. Poor Bolt has no way of signalling that the frost is eating him alive... His feet are very bare and I do not know if he is able to fire up a heating system to compensate for the chill. He is exothermic, after all.

Quite so.

Tortoises may cope with sudden or unusual dips or increases in temperature, but individuals can't be expected to adapt or acclimatise to temperatures consistently outside of their natural range, I think.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design