Low temperature behaviour.

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Low temperature behaviour.

Postby Joan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am

Tortoise Trust wrote: :o :o :o

Indeed!

Now totally puzzled! :? :o

Looking forward to the next instalment.
Joan

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:18 pm

New data added.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:below zero on carapace surface... + 7 on underside in undisturbed scrape!!!

Old thread, I know, but I've just been re-reading this, and thinking about the number of times I've brought the leopards in quite late, after the sun has gone down and when their carapaces have felt quite cool, but their undersides much warmer. (No measurments here - this is the temperature equivalent of the "well-filled pie" judgement of weight!)
Presumably they trap the residual heat that's in the ground, which around them will have dissipated into the cooling evening atmosphere.

Must take some measurements, if the weather ever improves enough to put them out again... :)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:09 am

Yes... for one thing, their body protects the ground from wind-chill. One of the REALLY fascinating things about this is what I'd call the "flow of thermal dynamics" you find going on... it is very subtle, and very complex. Heat loss... heat gain... heat conservation... cooling.... convection... radiant....

It is truly amazing - and really brings it home just how difficult an animal they really are. The way they use their environment to self-adjust temperatures is incredible. We still have much to learn.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am

Here we are on Feb 26 2013...

Had a light frost overnight, down to -0.2C.

Found this one exactly like this...at 9.30 am

Very exposed, as you can see, but carapace already warming up:

And another, somewhat more hidden, in a scrape under a shrub:

Look at this plastron temperature....

Tortoise Trust

Postby Daryn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Amazing they seem alot tougher than we think they are, they amaze me every day, I keep watching mine and trying to figure her out. I put mine out every day now if the weather is 5plus degrees as Im sure she knows what she wants to do more than me, she stays in the house over night gets nice and warm through the morning under the lamp then out in the garden to feed about 11am, when she has finished she goes in her enclosure or sometimes her den/hide and I bring her in about 2pm and she goes under the lamp before it switched off at 4pm and she winds down if he wants to go straight in her hide then I only give her an hour then bring her in, if she goes for a wander around the garden then I leave her out.

Temperature outside today is about 5.4 degrees she has ate everything I put out and now in her covered outdoor enclosure but actively walking around.
Daryn the happy geordie

http://www.majorcaforum.com/ my pride and joy travel site and forum
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
Daryn
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Anita Sayles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm

12deg today in my cold frame a few minutes ago and sunny, bitter wind though.
Marley is in the cold frame having a wander around, I don't know if he'll venture out into the outside bit of the enclosure though :)
Anita

Complete newbie, your patience is appreciated!
Be young, be foolish, but be happy... Life is too short to worry about unimportant things. Reach for the sky, touch your star, and then you find your dream. The Tams - 1965
Anita Sayles

Postby Anita Sayles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Up to 16deg now :)

Excuse the glass being dirty, I haven't cleaned it this year yet...
Anita

Complete newbie, your patience is appreciated!
Be young, be foolish, but be happy... Life is too short to worry about unimportant things. Reach for the sky, touch your star, and then you find your dream. The Tams - 1965
Anita Sayles

Postby Jessamy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 am

Very interesting, I have a not quite yearling Redfoot and I noticed his activity level did not correlate with, nor did he seek out, warmth and moisture as consistently as my reading led me to believe. My only concern was does he physically understand what's good for him or do the artificial conditions throw off their natural behavior? Any thoughts, will an otherwise healthy tortoise engage in unhealthy behavior?

Your information is actually not too surprising once you think about it, for instance I live in generally warm, wet FL but seasonally it gets relatively cool and dry with occasional light freezes; the native turtles/tortoises adjust just fine and remain active.
Jessamy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Today... snow!

Tortoise Trust

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design