Hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernation

Postby kenbar » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Please advise, Jan 2nd and my 3 year old Horsefield appears to be behaving as if preparing for hibernation (for the first time.) He is restless, constantly wanting out of his accommodation, where he has a quiet box he never uses, when he is removed from his accommodation he seeks a quiet, dark area in the house where he promptly settles down to sleep! He eats well but not as ravenous as usual.
Should I reduce his heat and food intake and prepare him for hibernation? Or am I being premature?
We live in SW Scotland if this has has any bearing on matters!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
kenbar

Re: Hibernation

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:23 am

This is quite normal when overwintering. Their internal 'body clock' is telling them it is time to hibernate.

They need VERY BRIGHT light to overcome this.
Tortoise Trust

Postby kenbar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply...Should I really encourage him to go against his natural instinct to hibernate though, seems counter intuitive? Will he stop eating himself when hibernation calls, he hasn't done so yet? He does have a bright light, 13 watt UVB lamp, this and his heat lamp seem to stimulate his activity levels.
I think I'm a bit late for him to truly hibernate this year and will reconsider next November?
kenbar

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 pm

A 13W lamp is not bright.....

Not even close.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Hibernation Q&A