Does anyone use a wine cooler for hibernation?

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Does anyone use a wine cooler for hibernation?

Postby MandyDyke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 am

Hello, I've previously used a medical fridge which has excellent temperature stability. However, I am still concerned about the noise level, despite reassurances from other forum users, (see my previous posts). Has anyone successfully used a wine cooler and if so, can they supply details of the make and model number? Thanks, Mandy
MandyDyke

Re: Does anyone use a wine cooler for hibernation?

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:54 pm

If you don't get any positive suggestions, but go shopping yourself, be warned. Double-check how low the cooler will go. I bought one once but had to take it back because it wouldn't go as cold as 5*C.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby ejs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi

I actually have a small drinks fridge which I bought for hibernation and which is unused, but now inboxed...I would like to sell it. If your tort is small, it would be good, but mine became a little too big....hence bigger box needed ....and bigger fridge!

Let me know if you are interested.

Emily
ejs

Postby lynnedit » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 am

My wine cooler worked very well last winter, and allowed me to gradually reduce temps in Fall and then gradually raise them again when brumation was over.
It goes down to 45f/7c and remained very stable.
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby MandyDyke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks to Stuart for pointing out that not all wine coolers go as cold as 5 degrees. I also found whilst reviewing the feedback on models sold on Amazon, that the temperature fluctuates quite a lot on pretty much every one.
MandyDyke

Return to Hibernation Q&A