First Hibernation help

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

First Hibernation help

Postby Mosedale » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello. I would like some advise please. I have two 18 month old Hermann's and I am hibernating them for the first time this year. They weigh 66g and 64 g, is this an ok weight to hibernate them ?.
Also how long do I need to ensure stomachs are empty at this size ?
Lastly is 6 weeks a good hibernation length, I am using a fridge which is currently all set up and being monitored in preparation. Thank you. Julia.
Mosedale

Re: First Hibernation help

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Mosedale wrote:Hello. I would like some advise please. I have two 18 month old Hermann's and I am hibernating them for the first time this year. They weigh 66g and 64 g, is this an ok weight to hibernate them ?.
Also how long do I need to ensure stomachs are empty at this size ?
Lastly is 6 weeks a good hibernation length, I am using a fridge which is currently all set up and being monitored in preparation. Thank you. Julia.

Weight has nothing to do with whether the size is good to hibernate:0)
Its health, if they have been eating and drinking all year, and have dry noses, clear bright eyes, then they will be alright for hibernation:0)
In the wild they hibernate from their first year, its us that think they are too small or not. I have hibernated for eight weeks much smaller tortoises:0)
Three weeks wind down is usually safe to empty their stomachs (following the right instructions) and eight weeks should be a minimum. Provided you check them regularly, after the first week, they will need time to settle down. And temps need to be around 5c not rising too much or lowering too much.
Tortoises dig up wards if the temps go up, and they dig down when temps get colder:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Mosedale » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Thank you for reply.
Am I right when I say the wind down process is, bath daily, no food (of course) and turn off heat lamps ? After three weeks I then transfer them to their boxes in fridge. I have two big sand/soil filled plastic boxes.
Mosedale

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Mosedale wrote:Thank you for reply.
Am I right when I say the wind down process is, bath daily, no food (of course) and turn off heat lamps ? After three weeks I then transfer them to their boxes in fridge. I have two big sand/soil filled plastic boxes.

First week normal heat/light, bathe NO FOOD
Then over the next two weeks, reduce the day at each end, turning on heat/light later and off earlier, bathe NO FOOD.
By the end of three weeks your tortoise should be ready for hibernating.
You should do all of the above in a cold room, as ambient temps can keep them going.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A