Just To Confirm .....

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Just To Confirm .....

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm

....is three weeks a along enough wind down period , for my nine year old Horsefield tort ?
I have been doing this up to now ,but I'm just worrying as he gets older , should he have four weeks ?
Tracy33

Re: Just To Confirm .....

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Tracy33 wrote:....is three weeks a along enough wind down period , for my nine year old Horsefield tort ?
I have been doing this up to now ,but I'm just worrying as he gets older , should he have four weeks ?

Age does not matter, its size:0)
I probably would have done the four weeks a few years ago, but it must be getting harder with this cold weather to keep them up.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Sandy .
well he started to wind down at the start of August , and now he has come back to life again , as if it is spring .

Because I hibernate him in a big wooden box , in a outside under the house cupboard ( this never goes below 5c ) , i leave the wind down a bit late . But now he's all woke up !!! it seems a shame to wind him down now , when he had done it before , all on his own .

I guess i should continue to wind him down , any other thought's on that ?

Maybe next year , i should go with him , as long as the temps are down outside ?
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Tracy33 wrote:Thanks Sandy .
well he started to wind down at the start of August , and now he has come back to life again , as if it is spring .

Because I hibernate him in a big wooden box , in a outside under the house cupboard ( this never goes below 5c ) , i leave the wind down a bit late . But now he's all woke up !!! it seems a shame to wind him down now , when he had done it before , all on his own .

I guess i should continue to wind him down , any other thought's on that ?

Maybe next year , i should go with him , as long as the temps are down outside ?

Well I go by my tortoises, when I see them slowing down at the end of September/October I decide to stop feeding and allow them to still come and go as they please and graze if they need to. Once they stop coming out, I block the GH and start the windown. They then dig down when they are ready, and pop up again in the Spring:0)
Its always difficult with our weather as it can vary so much later in the year.
August is far to early to hibernate, are you sure he was not being affect by the heat rather than hibernating?
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Mmmm , maybe so , but it was like a switch had gone off with him , from the start of Aug to now, he has mostly slept . In the greenhouse , when he would get to hot , he would pop into his caves to cool down .

Maybe your right Sandy , the Horsefield tortoise is only really active three months of the year after all .

You say your torts go on until end of sept /Oct time , that's pretty good . my tortoise does never last that long . I still sometimes wished I lived down in Kent , it's cold up here , and i'm sure that will make a big difference to the tortoises .
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Tracy33 wrote:Mmmm , maybe so , but it was like a switch had gone off with him , from the start of Aug to now, he has mostly slept . In the greenhouse , when he would get to hot , he would pop into his caves to cool down .

Maybe your right Sandy , the Horsefield tortoise is only really active three months of the year after all .

You say your torts go on until end of sept /Oct time , that's pretty good . my tortoise does never last that long . I still sometimes wished I lived down in Kent , it's cold up here , and i'm sure that will make a big difference to the tortoises .

It certainly not good for horsfields living up north:0)
As they do react faster to temp drops.
Is the GH heated?
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 pm

No , but the large tortoise house in the greenhouse is , with a heat lamp on one side , and a tube heater on the other .

Saying that though , he is indoors just now in his tortoise table , but as he is so lively , I pop him in the greenhouse for a few hours a day , The temps here in the Borders have been around 5c , although the last few days have been 8/9c .

Plus our garden is not south facing .
Tracy33

Return to Hibernation Q&A