Fridge for hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Fridge for hibernation

Postby ejs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi

I wondered if anybody knew whether this fridge would be good for hibernation?

https://www.caterkwik.co.uk/cgi-bin/tro ... D080#video

I thought I would get my little girl her very own fridge this year. This looks like it has everything I need but was not sure about the fan assist. Is that Ok?

Thanks

Emily
ejs

Re: Fridge for hibernation

Postby Stuart » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:54 am

ejs wrote:Hi

I wondered if anybody knew whether this fridge would be good for hibernation?

I thought I would get my little girl her very own fridge this year. This looks like it has everything I need but was not sure about the fan assist. Is that Ok?

Thanks

Emily

Hi Emily
I've no experience of this fridge, but it looks quite sophisticated, with its built in digital thermometer and fan assisted cooling.
I imagine the fan will ensure an even distribution of the set temperature, which would be ideal. I'd certainly find that useful myself, as with several tortoises to hibernate, I find that there's quite a temperature gradient in my own fridge, with only the middle shelf being a reasonably constant 5*C. and the shelves above and below varying quite a bit from that.

However, I would recommend you thoroughly test the fridge once it is up and running, using a separate thermometer (or two) to verify the displayed temperature is accurate. You could even "hibernate" an object of similar to mass to the tortoise for a few days, using the packaging and any substrates etc you'd be using for the tortoise, and check with a remote IR thermometer what the core temperature of the tortoise would be.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby ejs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks Stuart

The reason you stated.... I.e. Variance in temperature in my own fridge ..... is exactly why I have decided to upgrade this year. During my search I found that no domestic undercounted fridges seemed to have digital displays etc .... But catering fridges seem to have all the things I was looking for.

I fully intend to do all of the testing and monitoring despite all the added extras on this model. I never trust anything!

I have an alarm which will alert me if the temperature goes above or below a certain range which I pre set and I will do all the usual temperature stabilisation tricks such as filling the void space with water bottles. One alarm sensor goes in the hibernation box and the other outside.

Great idea re hibernating a fake tortoise... I will try that.

Given your thumbs up I think I will go ahead and order.

Thanks and I really appreciate your help.

Emily
ejs

Postby Stuart » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 pm

You seem to know what you're doing here! Great!
Hope it works out OK - do share updates on this one!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby ejs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Stuart

I now have the fridge and have plugged it in. All looks good but one thing I noticed is that because of the fan it does make quite a whirring noise. I am not sure how sensitive little torts are to noise when they are hibernating, but will this upset her in any way?

Emily
ejs

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm

ejs wrote:Hi Stuart

I now have the fridge and have plugged it in. All looks good but one thing I noticed is that because of the fan it does make quite a whirring noise. I am not sure how sensitive little torts are to noise when they are hibernating, but will this upset her in any way?

Emily

I really have no idea, but I'm guessing it might be OK..mainly on the basis of the advice (derived from reading ACH) that they're not easily disturbed once fully asleep - so no worries about taking them out to weigh them etc.

But OTOH I believe their hearing to be very sensitive - either that or their sense of smell - on the basis that some of mine come running from hidden places when I drop food into their enclosures...

It'd certainly be good to know more about these things...
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby ejs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 am

Thanks Stuart

I might just send it back, as the temperature seems to be varying hugely as well. It is empty bar one large bottle of water but it is varying between 3 and 10 degrees... This seems too much for a fridge which is supposed to be very stable as it is used for catering....

Might just have to use my fridge again this year and do some more research.

Emily
ejs

Postby Stuart » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm

ejs wrote:Thanks Stuart

I might just send it back, as the temperature seems to be varying hugely as well. It is empty bar one large bottle of water but it is varying between 3 and 10 degrees... This seems too much for a fridge which is supposed to be very stable as it is used for catering....

Might just have to use my fridge again this year and do some more research.

Emily

How are you measuring these temperatures? I think all fridges "cycle" to a greater or lesser extent...cooling the air down, then kicking in again later to cool it down again - with the temperature of the refrigerated stuff staying more constant, depending on its mass. (I had thought that fan-assisted fridges might have stayed more constant, but I guess all the fan is doing is circulating the cool air around the whole fridge and evening out the temperature gradient that otherwise occurs.)

Anyway, what you need to measure is the temperature of the tortoise, not the ambient air temperatures, which are prone to vary according to the fridge cycling process. Or if not the tortoise, a tortoise equivalent mass, ideally in the substrate and container in which the tortoise will eventually sit. The larger the tortoise the more likely it is to maintain the desired core temperature. I think the theory is that by the time the fridge kicks into the next "on" cycle, the tortoise (or beer or milk or whatever) will not have warmed up very much at all.

There are proper articles about this somewhere - this is just off the top of my head.

On that basis, your new fridge might be OK after all?

PS: the more stuff in a fridge, the more stable it will be. Hence the recommendation to fill the fridge with bottles of water (or whatever) along with the tortoise(s). Yours could be fluctuating precisely because you've only got one bottle of water in there to "hold" the "coldness"
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby ejs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks Stuart

I will try building up the contents and measuring the temp in the hibernation box which I will fill with soil and sand first.

Although I am still a little concerned that the noise will disturb her.

Ps. I saw one of the most special things ever yesterday.... I was walking along the beach and a some baby turtles popped out of the sand and made a run for it to the ocean. I helped them out to make sure they got there safely. It was an amazing experience. The best!
ejs

Postby Stuart » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

ejs wrote:Ps. I saw one of the most special things ever yesterday.... I was walking along the beach and a some baby turtles popped out of the sand and made a run for it to the ocean. I helped them out to make sure they got there safely. It was an amazing experience. The best!

I'm envious! Where was that?
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Next

Return to Hibernation Q&A