Recommendations for hibernation wine chiller

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Recommendations for hibernation wine chiller

Postby Juliet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I am trying to find the best wine chiller type fridge for hibernation for my Horsefield tort.

Its a minefield with conflicting feedback on every site you go on! Please can anyone let me know if the are using a reliable wine chiller that holds the temperature steady. I feel recommendation is my best hope to find the best chiller for my tort especially as I am so nervous about all this and cannot stand the thought I could get something wrong

So grateful for any suggestions. Hoping to get it this weekend and start the temperature testing so it is ready for Tort in about 3 weeks.

many thanks
Juliet
Juliet

Re: Recommendations for hibernation wine chiller

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 am

My only experience of a wine chiller was a cube-shaped counter top model with a glass front, which I thought would be ideal, but which I couldn't manage to get down to the ideal 5*C. So if you don't get any recommendations of a specific model, and you have to go shopping/researching, do ask about the temperature range and how easy it is to regulate that. (If you don't to say or reveal that its for a tortoise, pretend to be a very a fussy wine-lover! - that's how I managed to return mine!)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Juliet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you so much for the reply Stuart. Yes my top choice right now says its goes down to 5 degrees but thats why I must sort it this weekend so I get a clear 3 weeks to check it and check it again.

So after returning one you didn't try again? Weather up here is Scotland is too erratic to rely on but I am also going to measure temperatures in garage, sun room and other rooms in the house which we will turn off the central heating just to see if a chiller really is my only option.

Thanks again for your help
Juliet
Juliet

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:39 pm

So after returning one you didn’t try again?

No. I used a domestic fridge/freezer, the fridge part of which worked well. I think we bought ourselves a new fridge and used the old one for the tortoises. Have now used it for several years.

I’m in North Northumberland, not as far North as Aberdeen but cold enough at times, yet sometimes not cold enough! Fridge does provide more consistency.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Juliet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks Stuart. Yes I have been wondering about a fridge as long as it has no ice compartment or freezer section inside the fridge section. I will measure our fridge and see what I think. Must decide this weekend maybe a small fridge is a good way to go. I have been reading about medical fridges. I shall be so relieved when i crack this. Will report back as I have seen someone else asked about make and model suggestions for a hibernation fridge.

Seems so easy to get things wrong and I am so determined this isn't going to happen. I think I would rather not hibernate him than hibernate him and lose him. But thanks for your help.

Juliet
Juliet

Return to Hibernation Q&A