Hibernation Issues

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernation Issues

Postby Gothpunk » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi I am a fairly new mum to a Hermans Tortoise. I am his third owner as previous to my friend having him he, lived with students who smoked Pot around him. He was thankfully taken away from this environment but could not stay with my friend, as she has a 30 year old male. This was because Marley the tortoise I have now would attack him. We don not know how old Marley is we think between 5-7 years.
I have given him a loving home since early May and we have bonded well,I love him to pieces.
The only problem I am facing is the hibernation situation I have been told that he has never hibernated. My friend would wake him and her other tortoise every 2-3 days, bath food, heat source then place him back in bed.
I do not know what to get him in the way of a tortoise table or lamps I am a bit clueless right now and only want the best for him. I am willing to purchase anything to make him comfortable can anyone recommend where I can get the best equipment.
I have had conflicting information and am just stuck.

Many Thanks for your support
Gothpunk

Return to Hibernation Q&A