Jacki Castelli Hermann tortoise eating

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Jacki Castelli Hermann tortoise eating

Postby Jacki Castelli » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Good morning
I am the owner of a beautiful Hermann tortoise 14years old called Jagger
I have owned him for 3 years
He has hibernated his whole life I have decided this year to not hibernate him he has been indoors now for over three weeks
Ive bathed him several times I have a heat lamp but he is still searching to cover himself and is not eating at all.
Please could you advise as to how long it will take him to adjust to this change and when should I worry about him not eating
Thank you Jacki
Jacki Castelli

Re: Jacki Castelli Hermann tortoise eating

Postby Sandy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Jacki Castelli wrote:Good morning
I am the owner of a beautiful Hermann tortoise 14years old called Jagger
I have owned him for 3 years
He has hibernated his whole life I have decided this year to not hibernate him he has been indoors now for over three weeks
Ive bathed him several times I have a heat lamp but he is still searching to cover himself and is not eating at all.
Please could you advise as to how long it will take him to adjust to this change and when should I worry about him not eating
Thank you Jacki

He probably wont adjust easily, once they have a mind set to hibernate its very hard to stop them.
Is there any reason for not hibernating him?
As for not eating, if he is active and loosing weight that could be a problem.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A