Need Some Help .

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Need Some Help .

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm

I put my tortoise down for hibernation yesterday morning in his tortoise house , and checked him quite a few times during the day , to see he was ok . Each time i opened the lid , he would move his head a little , as if affected by the light .
Every time i went to see him , he had moved in the soil ( this was every few hours ).
I have just checked on him now (Mon at 16.00) , and this time he has his eyes open . :?
This can not be right .
I have never hibernated a tortoise before , what should i do next ?
The temperature in the tortoise house is 6c , and the soil read's 5.5 just underneath him .
Tracy33

Re: Need Some Help .

Postby sprakey34 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi, from my limited experience, tortoises can take a while to settle into hibernation. Mine have moved or opened eyes while in the fridge so I wouldn't worry about that ( unless someone comes along and corrects me). Light can disturb them though so you may want to bear that in mind when checking on your tort.
Meriel.
sprakey34

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks for that Meriel . Thats very helpful to know .
I must say , in all the reading i had done on here , i did not know of this .
Sandy was very kind , and guided me through the first 4/5 days .

I was thinking of weighing him in a few weeks , but this seems like it may be a problem , if they are affected by the light .
Tracy33

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 am

They will not be much affected by light once actually deeper in hibernation. Until then, they are.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Thats great , thanks Andy , i will go ahead as planned and weigh him in a week or two .
Tracy33

Return to Hibernation Q&A