Hibernation - can it start now?

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernation - can it start now?

Postby El Pappacabras » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I have two 8 years old Hermann males.
Because of the awful weather of last summer and autumn, they didn't get enough mass for hibernation: in november their weight was even a bit less than the previous year, in spite of growth. So I kept them awake with indoor tray and artificial lights.
But now they have built up enough mass, and my question is: should I send them to sleep for some weeks (in a closed, constant-temperature cellar) or should I insist on keeping them awake?

Thank you
El Pappacabras

Re: Hibernation - can it start now?

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 pm

El Pappacabras wrote:Hi all,

I have two 8 years old Hermann males.
Because of the awful weather of last summer and autumn, they didn't get enough mass for hibernation: in november their weight was even a bit less than the previous year, in spite of growth. So I kept them awake with indoor tray and artificial lights.
But now they have built up enough mass, and my question is: should I send them to sleep for some weeks (in a closed, constant-temperature cellar) or should I insist on keeping them awake?

Thank you

Not much point now, as we are going into warmer weather (well warmer than its been) I can see my tortoises are moving under the soil. Which is a sign
that the soil is warming up, because we have had a mild Winter over all.
In my experience, males dont put on that much weight over a Summer, they spend more time than females walkinig around and chasing the females:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:32 am

I agree.

Not much point at this stage.
Tortoise Trust

Postby El Pappacabras » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi,
thank you for your advice.
Just one doubt (considering that temperatures here are still 33-35 F, and snow is forecast for the next days): don't they suffer because of the absence of hibernation?
I remember reading that it's partly thanks to it that they live so longtime.
Thank you
El Pappacabras

Return to Hibernation Q&A