advice needed

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

advice needed

Postby hayleyrob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:37 am

Hello I'm looking for some advice about my 5 year old Herman tortoise, have always thought he was younger than 5 until finding his paperwork a couple of weeks ago. All he wants to do is sleep and isn't eating properly, he has been this way for 2-3 weeks but hasn't lost any significant weight. I'm worried because he should be in hibernation after finding out his real age. Looking for some advice as to what to do with him now as it appears he wants to be in hibernation?
Many Thanks
Hayley
hayleyrob

Re: advice needed

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:41 am

How are you keeping your tortoise - what temperatures are you getting? Does he have a bright light?

You will need to convince him that the weather is warm and sunny and not time for hibernating!
Joan

Postby hayleyrob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:23 pm

He is in a table top house in my bedroom, the heating is constantly on in my room so it's at a constant temperature, he has a calcium strip light and a heat lamp which are on all day and turnt off at night
hayleyrob

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:28 pm

hayleyrob wrote:Hello I'm looking for some advice about my 5 year old Herman tortoise, have always thought he was younger than 5 until finding his paperwork a couple of weeks ago. All he wants to do is sleep and isn't eating properly, he has been this way for 2-3 weeks but hasn't lost any significant weight. I'm worried because he should be in hibernation after finding out his real age. Looking for some advice as to what to do with him now as it appears he wants to be in hibernation?
Many Thanks
Hayley

Is there a reason why you have not hibernated your tortoise?
As you have found out, they have the natural instincts to do so. Especially if the temps are not correct for the time of the year.
Its too late now to do the correct wind down for hibernation.
As Joan has said, you need temps of around 32c under the heat source and 25c ish at the other end. Also for duller days as we are having at the moment
you need extra bright light to fool them into Spring mood.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby hayleyrob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:26 am

I haven't hibernated him before as I believed he was 3 years old rather than 5, which I was told was too young to hibernate, okay thank you for your advice I will try it :)
hayleyrob

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 am

hayleyrob wrote:I haven't hibernated him before as I believed he was 3 years old rather than 5, which I was told was too young to hibernate, okay thank you for your advice I will try it :)

It is extremely important that you actively INVESTIGATE and CHECK OUT every aspect of caring for an animal yourself, do not just believe what someones tells you. Often, they know less than you do... and some of what they might say might make no sense at all.

Question: What happens in the wild? Do the adults hibernate but the juveniles carry on as normal?

If course not!

They can hatch in September and be hibernating by November. Fact.

It is too late to do anything this year, so you need to get the light levels and temperatures up.

We have a lot of good resources here and on www.tortoisetrust.org - lots of interesting reading.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:08 am

hayleyrob wrote:I haven't hibernated him before as I believed he was 3 years old rather than 5, which I was told was too young to hibernate, okay thank you for your advice I will try it :)

My tortoises hibernate from their first year of hatching:0)
You must have bought your tortoise from a shop, as they are not at all informed about tortoises. All most are interested in is profits:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A