End Of Hibernation .

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Re: End Of Hibernation .

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:42 am

schildkroetenfan wrote:Holly also came out of hibernation yesterday evening. First hibernation, too, for 9 weeks, Would have left her in the fridge longer but noticed her box was getting wet - me and other half are debating if it was urine or defrosting ice. Looked in the box and she was poking out with her head and feet. I was quite worried as the fridge temperature seemed to be quite unreliable, it would go for a week with around 6degree and then suddenly show in the next minute 2.2 or 9 or so. And the fridge is quite small so could not do the double boxed insulation on the middle shelf. I was worried about the eyes and everything. Anyways, left her to warm up over night, then today she came out for a walk with nice clean and bright dark eyes, so gave her a tepid bath and considered running to the shop to get some Reptoboost, but she decided to warm up nicely under the basking light and even had a nibble on some dandelion I found. Now walking about a bit and exploring. Thanks for the hibernation guide, it was really very helpful as was the book. Not sure if I can change the fridge for next year, needed one with a lock because of kids and a small one as not much space. Would have prefered to put her in the large family fridge but relatives were so very much against it. Anyways am very relieved now.

Thats good Schildkroetenfan , and glad Holy made it through . :)
That fridge doesn't sound to clever though , you may need a new one , i'ts never worth the risk .
Tracy33

Postby schildkroetenfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Yes she is really munching away now ...(on the Florette crispy red salad leaves...shop bought). She still hasn't quite adjusted to the natural weed diet, shop bought salad is still her favourite. Just wondering if anybody does do the fridge hibernation in their food fridge...and if its a possibility if particular recommendations are followed? Definitely will have to make some changes for next year. Also considering the electric heating with thermostat tip, as there is more space in the garage. The thing is the fridge is bought brandnew but obviouslythe calculations on the inside space were wrong.
schildkroetenfan

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:01 am

Schildkroetenfan , they don't recommend hibernating a tortoise in the food fridge . If you put a new thread up about it , i am sure you will get some feed back on this .
Tracy33

Postby keef » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi all

I have a few questions about the end of hibernation.

I've had my tortoise for around 5 years, she lived in a table indoors and went outdoors on sunny days for the first four years, and didn't hibernate. Last year I built her an outdoor enclosure with an indoor area well insulated and fitted with thermostat controlled heater and a 100w heat lamp. Outside that is another indoor enclosure with a clear roof to let the sun in, then an outdoor run. It has got up to 35°c in the heated area on occasions

Followed all the guidelines pre-hibernation and she went off to sleep, decided to wake her yesterday with the warmer, sunny weather forecast for the week. Woke her up indoors then bathed her in the sink and put her in the enclosure with the heat set to 20°c, she was drinking in the sink but not interested in eating. Same today after work I bathed her and she was drinking but not eating. Thing that's bothering me is that she was in the shaded corner of her house when I got home sleeping and she's shown no interest in going out yet even though we had a sunny day, although fairly cold here in Kent (around 9°c). In her house during the day when the heat lamp comes on it usually gets into the high 20s low 30s, so I hoped she'd warm up in there then head out but it seemed to me she was avoiding the heat lamp.

I have turned the thermostat up to 30°c, what else should I be doing to stimulate her. Maybe a higher wattage heat lamp for now? The lamp is on a timer, its set to come on at 9 and off at 5, maybe I could extend this? Also in the table she had a UV strip light which I never put in the outdoor house as she can obviously go out for sun rays, maybe I could incorporate this into the outdoor house? Any advice would be much appreciated.
keef

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:31 am

Hi Keef
Just seen your post,I'm just about to get on a plane ,re post this in a new thread and someone will get back to you.
Best regards joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 am

Brightness is a big factor... also, while some do begin eating almost instantly, others do just "sit there" and not do much for a day or two... wild ones are just the same. A lot of individual variation.
Tortoise Trust

Postby keef » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Happy to say that my tortoise is eating and has urinated, I left the lamp the same but upped the heat to 30°c. Bought her in and sat her by the fire then put her in a sunny spot and offered a few dandelion leaves and she ate them all. Today I put her outdoors and she ate some leaves. Weather is warming up which is good because it seems as soon as she hit the outside temperatures earlier this week, she just sits there and "shuts down" rather than returning to the warm.

So that hopefully is her first hibernation done and dusted, thanks to this site for all the useful information.
keef

Previous

Return to Hibernation Q&A