My torts have moved around in hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

My torts have moved around in hibernation

Postby therocklady » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi, I have 19 torts in hibernation, in two larger than coffin-sized deep boxes with 40cm soil, only two buried into the soil. They are in a darkened triple-insulated shed which doesn't get the sun and is overhung by trees. I've managed to keep temps at around 6 degrees. Yesterday was a comparatively warm day - 17 degrees in the sun! Inside the shed temps went to 11 degrees C. A fair few of my torts have moved around quite a bit since yesterday. Temps in the shed are now back to 6 degrees. My question is, should I leave them be? in the wild would the torts wake up a bit and then go back into hibernation? Or should I wake them all up? They have been hibernating since 25th December because it was too mild here to do it any earlier, so just two months. The juveniles are aged between 4-7 years, and the large females aged 8 years upwards.
I'd rather leave them for a while if I can, especially the older females, but will do whatever is best.
Thanks, Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Re: My torts have moved around in hibernation

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:44 pm

therocklady wrote: A fair few of my torts have moved around quite a bit since yesterday. Temps in the shed are now back to 6 degrees. My question is, should I leave them be? in the wild would the torts wake up a bit and then go back into hibernation?

Yes. Frequently.

As long as they are a good weight, and have not urinated (can result in drastic dehydration) you should be OK.
Tortoise Trust

Re: My torts have moved around in hibernation

Postby therocklady » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks Andy, it's the first time I've hibernated most of my torts. They had all gained weight last year and had been healthy. I don't think any have urinated, as there are no dark patches on the soil. I check them every day.
Tomorrow I'll draw a plan of which tort is where in the boxes, and if there are one or two who continue to move around, I will get those ones up - they can be warmed up and stay in the greenhouse for a few more weeks.
Jesus, I'm so relieved, what a scaredy cat I am :oops:
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Return to Hibernation Q&A