urination in hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

urination in hibernation

Postby carmalee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:22 pm

Please will someone clear up a query I have?
Here's a bit of background first........
I have four tortoises - three of them hibernated in the fridge for sixteen weeks, I woke them last Sunday and within the hour they were all eating well and galloping around. There appears to be absolutely nothing wrong as they are eating everything I put in front of them and look bright eyed and bushy tailed. They have been out a couple of times to get some sunshine when the weather has been warm enough. They lost very little weight during hibernation.
The fourth one is also very well but two weeks into her hibernation I noticed she had urinated so I woke her immediately and she has been in the heated indoor run all winter living the life of Riley. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing at all wrong with her, she is lively, friendly, eating very well and is very active.
My query is.....could I have left her in the fridge to hibernate even though she had urinated shortly after going in - my reasoning is, had she urinated the day before she was put in the fridge I would have left her for the 16 weeks so why, just because she happened to urinate two weeks into hibernation is it advice given to wake her up? I'm sure there's a very logical explanation but I can't see it.
This is just a query and I hasten to add I follow the advice given on this site to the letter and wouldn't dream of experimenting in any way - I'm just curious. Thank you
carmalee

Re: urination in hibernation

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:33 pm

In my opinion, you did the right - and safest - thing.

After a time in hibernation, the blood chemistry and general physiological state undergoes many changes. Sudden loss of fluid may present a high risk in those circumstances.
Tortoise Trust

Postby carmalee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply Andy - I do follow the advice from here and knew there had to be a good reason for the direction to wake up a tortoise that's urinated during hibernation which is exactly why I did it. Glad I know the reason now - once again, thank you for the reply.
carmalee

Postby olly » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:25 am

Would someone please tell me if there's a way to tell when a tortoise has urinated in the box. I'm putting Daisy in her fridge this weekend ....her 3rd hibernation .....she sits in the same substrate that's in her pen , double boxed. My problem is that , when I check on her , I feel the soil around her , but as it's so cold , I really can't tell if she's done anything...... and I don't really see any discolouration either...... all good , so it seems , but although my anxiety levels aren't as high as her 1st hibernation (oh my life ! I won't forget that in a hurry.....8 weeks of fretting !) , that's really the only thing I mither about now...... what if I miss the fact she's wee'd and I can't tell ?.....I'm already getting worked up just writing this !
olly

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 pm

It is usually fairly obvious... damp..urates... tortoise possibly looking dehydrated with weight loss.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Hibernation Q&A