Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Stuart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Sandy wrote: Hibernating in the wild has nothing to do with food, its temps that make them hibernate:0)


Well, you're right of course that it's lower temperatures which drive hibernation. But of course, lower temperatures are driven by reduced intensity of sunlight, reduced hours of sunshine, shorter days...and in such conditions, food sources dwindle as well.

But I suppose its aestivation which is more driven by lack of food.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Tink_Tonks_Torts » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Sandy wrote:It sounds like you are getting things sorted for their future hibernation, please feel free for any advice needed. Someone will help where they can.
And no question is too stupid to ask, the only stupid question is the one not asked:0)


I am getting ready, looking at polystyrene boxes but worried I will buy one that won't fit inside the fridge, also am I correct in thinking each tort needs to be in a separate box? Or can I put them together to hibernate? My reason for thinking they should be separate is so that if I find any poop I wouldn't necessarily know which one it's from unless in separate boxes?

I can assure you I have lots of lots of questions, many will seem insignificant, but when it comes to looking after other pets which I know much more about I would also prefer people to ask rather than worry about feeling stupid, animal welfare is close to my heart :geek:
Karen
Novice tortoise owner - 2 Hermann's born Oct/Nov 2015
Experienced degu owner - 16 rescue degus, most with health issues as a result of poor husbandry/diet prior to rescue
Highly experienced stay at home mum to 3 kids (kept them alive anyway)
Tink_Tonks_Torts
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Todmorden

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Stuart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Tink_Tonks_Torts wrote:I am getting ready, looking at polystyrene boxes but worried I will buy one that won't fit inside the fridge, also am I correct in thinking each tort needs to be in a separate box? Or can I put them together to hibernate? My reason for thinking they should be separate is so that if I find any poop I wouldn't necessarily know which one it's from unless in separate boxes?


I'd support separate boxes, for the reason you've thought of. Also perhaps you could weigh them separately more easily?
I don't think they need to be polystyrene, though. Plastic boxes, or even cardboard boxes, would do. As long as there're sufficient air holes.
Some people put substrate into the boxes, especially for little ones. Especially if they dig into it, this would provide a greater mass to help smooth out variations in the fridge as it cycles on and off. Needed less in the case of larger and adult tortoises, whose mass is large enough to take a while to warm up and cool down, so they tend to maintain their core temperature more constantly despite vagaries in the air in the fridge.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:54 am

Stuart wrote:
Sandy wrote: Hibernating in the wild has nothing to do with food, its temps that make them hibernate:0)


Well, you're right of course that it's lower temperatures which drive hibernation. But of course, lower temperatures are driven by reduced intensity of sunlight, reduced hours of sunshine, shorter days...and in such conditions, food sources dwindle as well.

But I suppose its aestivation which is more driven by lack of food.


Going by the research we have been doing, it is mainly access to water/fluids which is the key factor.
Tortoise Trust
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Almeria, Spain

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Stuart » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Ah, thanks, Andy. So we were both wrong!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Sandy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:43 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Sandy wrote: Hibernating in the wild has nothing to do with food, its temps that make them hibernate:0)


Well, you're right of course that it's lower temperatures which drive hibernation. But of course, lower temperatures are driven by reduced intensity of sunlight, reduced hours of sunshine, shorter days...and in such conditions, food sources dwindle as well.

But I suppose its aestivation which is more driven by lack of food.


Going by the research we have been doing, it is mainly access to water/fluids which is the key factor.



Would this apply here in the UK where we dont have a shortage of water?
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Kent

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Stuart » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Does Andy mean the lack of water is the main trigger for aestivation? That would make sense....there may still be dry material around in high summer, but if there's no water...

Lack of water can't be the main trigger for hibernation in captive UK tortoises, who will show signs of wanting to hibernate whether or not water - or food - is available. A cold tortoise won't be very active, and ultimately will not drink or feed. Hibernation has to be temperature driven, surely?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Stuart wrote:Does Andy mean the lack of water is the main trigger for aestivation? That would make sense....there may still be dry material around in high summer, but if there's no water...



Correct. Astivation... both entering estivation and (as the rains come) leaving it. The two coincide like clockwork.

Stuart wrote:Lack of water can't be the main trigger for hibernation in captive UK tortoises, who will show signs of wanting to hibernate whether or not water - or food - is available. A cold tortoise won't be very active, and ultimately will not drink or feed. Hibernation has to be temperature driven, surely?


It is certainly highly dependent upon temperature... but I suspect some other factors are involved too - day-length, for example. It is a very complex pattern. We don't fully understand all the factors involved yet.
Tortoise Trust
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Almeria, Spain

Re: Does age matter for hibernating horsfields?

Postby Tink_Tonks_Torts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:06 pm

Sandy wrote:Would this apply here in the UK where we dont have a shortage of water?


Definitely no shortage of water where we are, we live in the areas that flooded last Boxing Day. I think that's why the main plants and weeds I can find for the torts are classed as marginals/water plants on the Tortoise Table website :roll:

Getting good drainage into my tortoise garden is the biggest problem, though thankfully we're on high ground so if our garden floods it's a job for Noah's ark.
Karen
Novice tortoise owner - 2 Hermann's born Oct/Nov 2015
Experienced degu owner - 16 rescue degus, most with health issues as a result of poor husbandry/diet prior to rescue
Highly experienced stay at home mum to 3 kids (kept them alive anyway)
Tink_Tonks_Torts
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Todmorden

Previous

Return to Hibernation Q&A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron