fridge size does it matter??

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Re: fridge size does it matter??

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:06 pm

OB1 wrote:Extra internal thermal mass might be great for a standard larder fridge but possibly not a good idea for your average Thermoelectric/Peltier "cooler", like the Herp Nursery incubator Jerry mentioned, lots of wine coolers and beer fridges. These are highly dependant on ambient temps and at normal room temps most struggle to keep a couple of drink cans cool and the ones that don't will be costing a fortune to run..

I agree.

These do not tend to have the best stability, or the best reliability, either, compared to a 'standard' design.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:

These (wine cooler type fridges) do not tend to have the best stability, or the best reliability, either, compared to a 'standard' design.

I wonder if there is a case for a slight tweak of the fridge hibernation article on the website, in that case? I think that does suggest these smaller fridges are OK, when maybe they're not so good after all (or, as you say, it very much depends on the model, type etc). There's likely to be variation in the quality of standard larder fridges too, of ocurse, for the same stated reasons, but perhaps, on average, a little more reliability? It'd still be a case of caveat emptor, of course.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby vikki01 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 pm

I think I have read that a lot of these type of fridges are not suitable for constant use but more for a few days or similar, I am not definite on this but would check the small print of the instructions to be sure. This one looks to have a lot of good features that may be useful but is quite pricey:
http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/c ... 30pl40.htm
Vikki.
vikki01

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 pm

We tested some, but it was a few years ago.... surveying Ebay it appears there are some super-cheap ones out there now which may well be of more dubious quality.....

Given how important this is to health and even survival, making sure you get a quality unit is vital. Quality might cost a bit more, but it is worth it.
Tortoise Trust

Postby fethiyeman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi, The cooler i have has a proper compressor fitted see picture
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fethiyeman

Previous

Return to Hibernation Q&A