Hibernating Hermann tortoise

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernating Hermann tortoise

Postby George3 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:51 pm

We have a 1 1/2 yr old Hermann tortoise and have been following a pre hibernation wind down plan since 12th December. Phase 1 was removing food, stage 2 reducing uv light hours, stage 3 switching off uv lamp and only using background heat as tortoise inside in tortoise table, phase 4 was removal of uv light and heat other than central heating in house where kept. According to online guide our tortoise should be far less active and remain in his shelter for longer now. We have bathes him every day and have ensured water is supplies throughout every phase. In spite of this our tortoise is still quite active. According to the guide we are following he should be put into hibernation now- we are planning to put in refrigerator. Having never done this before it seems cruel to do so whilst he is still so active so would be glad of some advise. It is unusually warm for December but I'm not sure what to do now. If we don't hibernate him he has been without food for 3 weeks now and no uv heat lamp for the past 5 days. Please can someone advise me what is best to do. Thanks
George3

Re: Hibernating Hermann tortoise

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:19 pm

If he's still active, he must be warm enough to be so. If he's in a centrally heated room, that'll be why.
Personally, I'd either turn off the radiators in the room where he's housed, or move him for two or three days to another room that is not centrally heated - even a porch or an outhouse or shed - until he's cool enough to become less active. Then the fridge.

And move him to the fridge at night or early morning after a chillier night.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby George3 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank you that a great help. I've already switched off rooms radiators but will move to porch area now. Thanks
George3

Postby BigJO » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:41 am

Yes I agree that placing the tortoise in a safe place outdoors can be a very good way to cool the tortoise before going into the fridge. I always do this, it just means keeping an eye on the temperature. Modern homes are mostly too warm when it comes to cooling a tortoise!
BigJO

Postby Tracy33 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 am

Yes , I do the same thing .
I pop mine in a cardboard box , in the cold cupboard for a few days before hibernation , and he is very still and sleeping . The cold cupboard is around 12c .
Tracy33

Return to Hibernation Q&A