Fridge unplugged for 24 hours

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Fridge unplugged for 24 hours

Postby boo1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 am

Hi, I could do with some advice please....
I have 4 marinated torts happily hibernating in a fridge that has been between 4 and 6 degrees, they've been in there since early Dec. Yesterday evening we discovered the fridge had been unplugged (worked out it was for about 24 hours). Temperature had risen to 12 degrees, one tortoise had her eyes open and there was evidence the others were semi-awake as signs of scratching in their boxes. No sign of any urination. We re-started the fridge and all are now back asleep. Should I get them up or are they ok to go back to sleep?
Thanks for your help
boo1

Re: Fridge unplugged for 24 hours

Postby Stuart » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm

I must begin by saying that I don't know. I'd hope for a definitive answer from Andy.

Traditionally we used to believe, and advise, that once a tortoise had awoken from hibernation, then they should be kept up.
But Andy's field studies over the last few years describe a different kind of hibernation, in which tortoises seem to go in and out of sleep/hibernation mode depending on prevailing conditions. This could mean that your tortoises are OK to go back into hibernation...and if you've left them in the fridge and plugged it back in, then as temperatures drop, I guess that it what they will do / will have done...

But Andy would be the best person to advise on this.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:07 am

As long as they have not urinated, they should be absolutely fine.

I measured some tortoises in "hibernation" here yesterday and they were up to 18C by 2.00 pm!!!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Ironically I came home his afternoon to find we'd a power cut - the computer (which I often leave on) was off. Don't know for how long, but the tortoise boxes in the fridge were measuring 7*C when they've been a constant 5.6 whenever I've checked them.
I must go and open the boxes and check for signs of excessive movement and, indeed, urine.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby boo1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks Andy and Stuart, it's so good to have experts on hand for advice, makes it all a bit less stressful! :lol:
boo1

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:36 am

This is from notes three years ago:

Hibernation of T. graeca in Spain

This is our third year of observation and data-gathering. We had some very interesting winters! The first was the coldest for 50 years (we recorded -7C at one point), the second winter was fairly typical, and (so far) this year has been unusually mild, with mid-December temperatures as high as 24C. We buried automatic data logger probes alongside hibernating tortoises and also took surface measurements. A few patterns are emerging. One interesting feature is the very wide “swing” in temperatures from day to night, even at hibernation depths. This is certainly far removed from a constant temperature as we aim for in captivity. Another feature is periodic emergence from hibernation. In warmer periods tortoises may emerge, then return back underground if cold weather returns. Finally, it was noted that tortoises appear to adjust their depth in response to falling temperatures. One of our notebooks reads “ At this site minimum surface temperature recorded was slightly over 1C. Minimum SUBSOIL temperature was 5.5C. What is really, really, really interesting is the phenomenal variation... with SUBSOIL temperatures of 18C occurring quite frequently!” This was quite unexpected, and certainly throws new light on tortoise behaviour in the wild. It also provides a lot of “food for thought” when considering how best to manage hibernation in captivity"

I have continued data gathering... 6 years now! Result: I STILL do not understand everything that is going on. It is very complex..... and certainly confounds a lot of "what we thought we knew"....
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:36 am

Tortoise Trust

Return to Hibernation Q&A