Advice on the cold weather please

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Advice on the cold weather please

Postby Cazinn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Can anyone advise me please. I am looking after a tortoise of 50yrs plus for a friend. He came out of hybernation but seems to have nestled back down with this cold weather, he hasn't fed much. Is this normal behaviour in bad weather?
I have brought him indoors!
Many thanks Caz
Cazinn

Re: Advice on the cold weather please

Postby Clara » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Sorry Caz - we all seem to have missed this one. Yes - most torts haven't enjoyed the cold spell we have just had so bringing him indoors is probably the right thing to do. Hopefully he has warmed up and is feeding again by now.

Has been eating prior to nestling back down or has he been sluggish since hibernation? Knowing what species and where you are helps us to give better advice.

Clara
Clara

Re: Advice on the cold weather please

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:32 am

Cazinn wrote:Can anyone advise me please. I am looking after a tortoise of 50yrs plus for a friend. He came out of hybernation but seems to have nestled back down with this cold weather, he hasn't fed much. Is this normal behaviour in bad weather?
I have brought him indoors!
Many thanks Caz

Because they are cold blooded, when we have a cold spell they will slow down. This is where you need the extra heat to keep their bodies warm.
For the first time in a very long time, I had to switch my tortoise heating back on at the end of last week, after we had a few days or pouring rain and cold temps.
They are now back to normal, with only the heat from the sun keeping them going:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A