hibernation query

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

hibernation query

Postby Linzi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Hello

Just looking for a little reassuring advice for my spur thigh tortoise, would it be advisable to wake him early given the warm weather over winter? He has always hibernated in the shed and his internal box thermometer has often been around 10 degrees, I know this is the temperature at which their body fat will decrease at a faster rate.

He has been hibernated for 16 weeks in the past but I'm wondering if I should wake him earlier. He was a healthy weight in accordance with the Jackson ratio and after a small infection was given the ok by the vet to hibernate.

Would 14 weeks be ok? he is a 9 year old spur thigh.

Thanks in advance
Linzi

Re: hibernation query

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Linzi wrote: his internal box thermometer has often been around 10 degrees, I know this is the temperature at which their body fat will decrease at a faster rate.

Body fat will only decrease if the tortoise is awake and moving about, I think. If there are no signs of movement, then you could probably leave him longer.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Hibernation Q&A