Individual characteristics around hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Individual characteristics around hibernation

Postby Sue Doxat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am

Glad to say Ernie is just coming out of hibernation for the ninth year with me, can almost see a cheeky grin peeking out from between his concealed legs. He was overwintered the first year I had him and is now 15 years old. Ofcourse I'm grinning ear to ear to see him awake again. I follow all the hibernation guidelines and he is usually very straightforward I'm glad to say. It seems that once he has had a drink and eaten he will wander off in search of something to "love" within two or three days! He doesn't seem to waste much time. I just wondered if this is typical of a t.g.g.
We all make sure our torts are wound down, colder, darker, and gut empty but well hydrated before hibernation. It seems many of us actively need to place our animals in the water but guess it's because we are controlling when they hibernate and may not be when they would choose.
Sue Doxat

Re: Individual characteristics around hibernation

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Sue Doxat wrote:Glad to say Ernie is just coming out of hibernation for the ninth year with me, can almost see a cheeky grin peeking out from between his concealed legs. He was overwintered the first year I had him and is now 15 years old. Ofcourse I'm grinning ear to ear to see him awake again. I follow all the hibernation guidelines and he is usually very straightforward I'm glad to say. It seems that once he has had a drink and eaten he will wander off in search of something to "love" within two or three days! He doesn't seem to waste much time. I just wondered if this is typical of a t.g.g.
We all make sure our torts are wound down, colder, darker, and gut empty but well hydrated before hibernation. It seems many of us actively need to place our animals in the water but guess it's because we are controlling when they hibernate and may not be when they would choose.

I find most males are the same:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:09 am

Sandy wrote:
Sue Doxat wrote:Glad to say Ernie is just coming out of hibernation for the ninth year with me, can almost see a cheeky grin peeking out from between his concealed legs. He was overwintered the first year I had him and is now 15 years old. Ofcourse I'm grinning ear to ear to see him awake again. I follow all the hibernation guidelines and he is usually very straightforward I'm glad to say. It seems that once he has had a drink and eaten he will wander off in search of something to "love" within two or three days! He doesn't seem to waste much time. I just wondered if this is typical of a t.g.g.

I find most males are the same:0)

You are speaking about tortoises, yes?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:43 am

I find most males are the same:0)[/quote]

You are speaking about tortoises, yes?[/quote]

Of course:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Sandy wrote:
Sandy wrote:I find most males are the same:0)

jso wrote:You are speaking about tortoises, yes?

Of course:0)

:)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Hibernation Q&A