URGENT advice needed - Tortoise hasn't hibernated.

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

URGENT advice needed - Tortoise hasn't hibernated.

Postby Normah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, and have searched other posts but can't find the answer I'm looking for, forgive me if it's here somewhere.

I adopted a 45-50 year old Testudo Graeca female tortoise in late October 2016 when her elderly owners went into a home. They had kept her out in their (London) garden and she had never had a house, lamps or any form of heating. She just roamed free. They told me that when she hibernated, she just dug a shallow hole and stayed there.

When I got her, the first thing I did was to take her to a vet to have her checked out and get advice on hibernation. The vet advised me how to hibernate her and we followed the instructions to the letter. However, she didn't want to go to sleep and kept moving around in the box so that it felt really cruel to keep her in there. We put the box in an out building that was between 3 - 9 degrees but after weeks she was still moving around and astonishingly, managed to tip the box on it's side and claw her way out. By now it was late November, but we let her out in the garden as that's what she wanted. She's still moving around. She may 'sleep' in one spot for about a week or so then move elsewhere.

I have read on this website that this type of tortoise does not hibernate - but the previous owners and the vet says they do.
I really don't know what to do to keep her healthy. Do I feed her? Do I bathe her again? Do I try to get her to go back in the box to hibernate? Will she be able to survive as she has not fed since early November?

Please advise as soon as you can, many thanks.
Normah

Re: URGENT advice needed - Tortoise hasn't hibernated.

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:13 am

Sorry - I did not see this. We have been offline a lot here with fieldwork.

We have not said, anywhere, that T. graeca does not hibernate.

What is your location?
Tortoise Trust

Return to Hibernation Q&A