Enough resources for hibernation

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Enough resources for hibernation

Postby Pat90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi

I have a 2 year old marginated tortoise, Sid who has been living outside in a cold frame for the last 3 months ( no additional heating ) Prior to that he was kept inside on a tortoise table with a combined basking lamp. His appetite then was quite ferocious and his weight was increasing quite rapidly. At the time of going outside he weighed 450 grams but since being outside his appetite is less and he has lost some weight - now weighs 430 grams.My aim was to hibernate him this year but i am concerned that he may not have enough resources.He seems to be in the best of health.
Please can you advise
Kind Regards Pat
Pat90

Re: Enough resources for hibernation

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Pat90 wrote:Hi

I have a 2 year old marginated tortoise, Sid who has been living outside in a cold frame for the last 3 months ( no additional heating ) Prior to that he was kept inside on a tortoise table with a combined basking lamp. His appetite then was quite ferocious and his weight was increasing quite rapidly. At the time of going outside he weighed 450 grams but since being outside his appetite is less and he has lost some weight - now weighs 430 grams.My aim was to hibernate him this year but i am concerned that he may not have enough resources.He seems to be in the best of health.
Please can you advise
Kind Regards Pat

430grms is still quite large even for a marginata:0)
As long as he has a dry nose, clear bright eyes and no signs of gaping then he would be fine for hibernation.
A minimum of eight weeks, trying to make that time when its the coldest outside:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Re: Enough resources for hibernation

Postby Pat90 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Many thanks for your last reply.

Since then Sid has been coming out less, having warm baths that sometimes stimulates him to eat a few mouthfuls. Weight is currently 414 grams and he seems in perfect health. He last eat 5 days ago, but now seems to only want to bury himself in the substrate. My plan was to use the fridge method for his first hibernation, but I am away on holiday from 20-27th October.Although, he will have someone checking him whilst I am away, I want to be the one looking after him when he goes into the fridge.Should I continue as I have been doing, that is in effect keeping him awake, or should I abandon thoughts of hibernation this year. I will certainly rethink my holidays for next year!

Your advice would be very much appreciated
Kind Regards
Pat
Pat90

Return to Hibernation Q&A