help please

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

help please

Postby carmalee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:32 pm

My Horsefields was put in the fridge for hibernation today after his usual wind down period of almost four weeks - fridge was 5c and he's been in a cold room - he got out of his box and is now back in his unheated outside run - inside a wooden waterproof duck house, in a box filled with the substrate he hibernates in and covered by a ceramic tunnel - have hibernated him for three years now with the fridge method - he was put in a approx 10am this morning and taken out at 4pm. Am now looking for a more robust container. My question is, will it be okay to put him back in when I have one? Thank you. My thinking is that maybe the room wasn't cold enough (between 10-14) and to leave him a bit longer outside as the temps aren't due to drop below 5c for several nights now. Any advice really welcome please.
carmalee

Re: help please

Postby Stuart » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 am

Hi

I can't see why you shouldn't try again with the fridge. What you've done is not the same as breaking a hibernation, more that he wasn't comatose in the first place. As long as he has eaten anything whilst in the outside space.

Try putting him in the fridge at night when temps will have dropped down a bit, and don't worry if he still scrabbles around a bit in the fridge until he chills down and settles. He shouldn't be active once his core temperature is as low as 5*C. Are you using reliable thermometers for the fridge air and substrate temperatures, and ideally a contactless IR thermometer for the tortoise?

Try a plastic container if it was a cardboard one he dug his way through? (Obviously not with a sealed lid)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby carmalee » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you for the reply Stuart - what you've suggested is exactly what I've done which makes me feel I'm at least getting towards becoming a reasonably responsible torti keeper! - I put him in a deep plastic storage box with lots of soil, covered him with a ceramic tunnel and put him in the tortis weatherproof duck house in their outside run.This morning he had hardly moved as the temp dropped last night to about 5c so I quickly put him in the soil filled salad drawer of the hibernation fridge with the others. Temp is between 4-6c average. He's hardly moved today but have heard a little scrabble from time to time.Bit nippy today in the SE but have been working hard on updating the outside run for next year.
I really appreciate the support - just what I needed, thank you so much.
carmalee

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am

carmalee wrote: I really appreciate the support - just what I needed, thank you so much.

It's quite scary, this hibernation business, even for experienced keepers!
TBH, I haven't yet faced up to winding down those of my own which hibernate - usually they do it themselves in the GH, and I finally bring them in when temperatures are so low that there's a risk of freezing (like today!).
But unfortunately I brought them indoors a couple of months ago, after we had an invasion of rats in a nearby aviary...so now I've got to manage a more controlled wind-down, which I've not done for years...
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Hibernation Q&A