Hibernation question.

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernation question.

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Good morning. I have a question regarding length of hibernation. I put my two 18 month old Hermann's in their fridge on nov 29th. Both weight and temps have been stable. How long should their hibernation last ? Thank you.
Mosedale

Re: Hibernation question.

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Mosedale wrote:Good morning. I have a question regarding length of hibernation. I put my two 18 month old Hermann's in their fridge on nov 29th. Both weight and temps have been stable. How long should their hibernation last ? Thank you.

Age has nothing to do with the length of hibernation. Temperature and weather does.
As long as they maintain their weights, then it's better they stay a little longer in hibernation.
Eight weeks is a minimum for any tortoises hibernation.
If they maintain their weight then ten to twelve weeks is fine.
My adults go down in around the same, some earlier as they dig down and hibernate in the green house soil, and come up when the soil has warmed up. Some times they hibernate for three months, sometimes a little longer, sometimes shorter it all depends on temperature and weather:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. That's good news...don't need to worry about weed hunting for a while longer.
Mosedale

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Mosedale wrote:Thank you for your reply. That's good news...don't need to worry about weed hunting for a while longer.

That is another bonus of hibernating.
Close monitoring while they are young, and watching all behaviour is helpful through out their lives. You can learn so much from them:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Hibernation Q&A