Hibernation section

All questions relating to hibernation can be placed here. It will make a good reference source for new keepers and keep hibernation related topics in one place, and easy to find.

Hibernation section

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 am

Please post any questions (and answers) relating to hibernation here. This will make this popular topic easier to find and will build into a valuable resource.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Hibernation section

Postby pickle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm

I have two horsfield tortoises, this is their second hibernation and my first.They have been sleeping since early december and have been fine,I have been checking temps and movement every day but last night Pickle the bigger out the two didn't seem to move ,I panicked and bought him/her in for a while and his limbs seemed floppy I thought he moved for a second but can't be sure.
Has my baby died ,I relutantly but him back for the night and checked again this morning,could not see any movement but his head had gone right into his shell,it was out the night before. How can I tell,what do I do help,help,help.
It has been a struggle to keep temps correct,they are in a stone built out house.They are two years old.
pickle

Postby Sue Doxat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Is there any advantage in prolonging hibernation after 8 weeks for a med. spur thigh providing he doesnt wee or lose weight? Sue D
Sue Doxat

Postby Kathy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

pickle wrote:I have two horsfield tortoises, this is their second hibernation and my first.They have been sleeping since early december and have been fine,I have been checking temps and movement every day but last night Pickle the bigger out the two didn't seem to move ,I panicked and bought him/her in for a while and his limbs seemed floppy I thought he moved for a second but can't be sure.
Has my baby died ,I relutantly but him back for the night and checked again this morning,could not see any movement but his head had gone right into his shell,it was out the night before. How can I tell,what do I do help,help,help.
It has been a struggle to keep temps correct,they are in a stone built out house.They are two years old.

I dont know what to suggest here but have noticed that it was posted Tuesday so I thought all I could do was bump it up? It seemed a bit urgent.
Personally I think I would have got this tortoise up and under a lamp.

Can anybody help this person :(
Kathy
3 Testudo Graeca Ibera
Kathy

Postby Steve C » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am

Being totally frank, Pickle, I think that you have pursued a very high risk strategy here. Probably, in most years, you would get away with this, but the extremely low temperatures we have experienced over the last month or so will have caught out many people who hibernate their torts in unheated outbuildings.

The temperature inside your kithen fridge is several degrees above what your outside temperature has typically been.

I think that you should bring the tortoise inside and get the basking heater plugged in. Get the tortoise warm and see what, if anything, has happened. Hibernation is over for this winter.

Whilst I have written this posting in the singular, it applies to both of your torts.

Just MHO

Steve C
Steve C
For Opuntia sales, email jsc_gec@tiscali.co.uk
Steve C

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am

I’m sorry to say that is very difficult to say whether this tortoise is alive or not. I guess it is possible that he has been frozen. What is he like today? If you think there could be a chance he is still alive try pushing hard against a back leg – as though you were trying to push it back into his shell. A tortoise should normally push back, unless he is too weak, but its worth a try.

If you think he’s still alive, I would get him up and warm him up and possibly the other one too if you are worried about the temperature. Give warm baths when they are awake to rehydrate.
If you still have a problem take to him to a good reptile vet.
Joan

Postby lorna » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 am

I would do the same, get them both up under a basking lamp, then see what happens. And obviously not put them back.

Lorna
lorna

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 am

Joan wrote:I’m sorry to say that is very difficult to say whether this tortoise is alive or not. I guess it is possible that he has been frozen. What is he like today? If you think there could be a chance he is still alive try pushing hard against a back leg – as though you were trying to push it back into his shell. A tortoise should normally push back, unless he is too weak, but its worth a try.

If you think he’s still alive, I would get him up and warm him up and possibly the other one too if you are worried about the temperature. Give warm baths when they are awake to rehydrate.
If you still have a problem take to him to a good reptile vet.

Another thing is to check his eyes - if they are sunken then I'm afraid he has probably gone.
Joan

Postby pickle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi there,
Thank you so much to everyone getting back to me so quickly.
Sadly both my babies Ickle & Pickle have passed away,Heartbroken.
pickle

Next

Return to Hibernation Q&A