Adopting tortoises/turtles

This list is of animals currently reported to us in need of a new home. Descriptions and circumstances (where known) are included. Full contact details are not. You will need to request these details. We must be satisfied that you have adequate facilities for the species you are applying for. There are no charges whatsoever.

Adopting tortoises/turtles

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Even by placing animals on our rehoming list, we have duty and responsibility to make sure to the best of our ability that the new keeper:

a) Has adequate and suitable facilities

We will need to see current photos of your setup, including outdoor and indoor accommodation. We may comment on these and suggest improvements or alterations

b) Understands the dietary needs of the species applied for

We expect you to be able to describe the diet you intend using. Again, we may suggest further reading or improvements.

c) Understands basic disease prevention and quarantine requirements and also understands behavioural problems that may arise, e.g., aggression, territorial behaviour, etc.

We will direct you to relevant articles and guidelines on these topics.

Depending on the circumstances there may be other questions we need to ask.

Once you have been approved for that species, you can apply for any that come up on the list. If you wish to apply for a different species in addition, we will need a separate application.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Adopting tortoises/turtles

Postby Julie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Could i please remind you all that BEFORE i can accept any rehoming applications, you will need to decide what species of Tortoise you would like to adopt, also whether it be juvenile or adult. You must have housing ready to accept a Tortoise and not wait to see if you are accepted first. I need to see where the Tortoise will be living.
Julie

Postby Julie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 pm

This is a polite request.

I can not accept any rehoming applications unless i see photographs of your set-ups, and details that i request.
I have received a few emails offering homes, but people wont send me photographs unless they can rehome the Tortoise concerned. I will not agree to rehoming any Tortoise/Turtle until i am satisfied that the correct housing etc, is in place. I have a duty to the owners to find their Tortoises good homes, i cant do this unless i see pictures where the Tortoises would live.
If i think something needs a little 'tweaking' with housing, i will suggest changes, this applies to dietry advice, hibernation advice, or anything else i am not satisfied with. Sorry if this offends anyone.
Julie

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:06 am

These are, as Julie says, our terms and conditions. They will not be varied for anyone. If you are not prepared to demonstrate you have adequate facilities ALREADY IN PLACE then please do not apply as this merely wastes valuable time. Ours and yours.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:These are, as Julie says, our terms and conditions. They will not be varied for anyone. If you are not prepared to demonstrate you have adequate facilities ALREADY IN PLACE then please do not apply as this merely wastes valuable time. Ours and yours.

It seems this needs repeating yet again.

NO EXCEPTIONS. For anyone.
Tortoise Trust

Postby silvasands » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi
I would like some information as to the conditions The Tortoise Trust require if I were to rehome a spur tortoise, please. I have kept them for over 30 years but I want to be sure that my conditions conform to what would be expected if I was allowed to have a rehomed one, please. I have a walled garden with dandelion leaves on the lawn and a covered shelter for sun/rain shelter.In the autumn, the tortoise would be out in sunny conditions and in each night .My husband has retired and my son lives next door so not left alone. Mother-in-law who also has a spur tortoise , is available for holidays.Live near the sea so easy access to cuttlefish bone.
Melissa
silvasands

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:29 am

silvasands wrote:Hi
I would like some information as to the conditions The Tortoise Trust require if I were to rehome a spur tortoise, please.

See 'HOUSING CONDITIONS' in this section:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5867
Tortoise Trust

Postby JJDavies » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi we have been searching for a long time for a leopard tortoise for our daughter. We found some for sale in a local pet shop and was very shocked at the price! We have a Viv ready for one and if it wasn't for my husband talking to a lady the other day we would of never thought to contact the Tortoise Trust. This lady advised that there are lots of tortoises looking for the right home. I would much prefer to save or adopt a tortoise that is looking for a home than just buy one from a pet shop. Please contact me if you have any available at present and i can provide more information if needed. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
JJDavies

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking to rehome a Leopard tortoise you must have everything in place before you can apply. Scroll back to the beginning of this thread and you will find the Tortoise Trust conditions of rehoming:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5865&p=67679#p67679

Also a vivarium is totally unsuitable for a tortoises for the following reasons:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/vivarium.htm

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7238&p=66162&hilit=vivarium#p66162

Also see: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/cpardalis.html

If you have any questions please ask!
Joan

Postby JJDavies » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 am

Thank you for the information.We went to the Pet Shop to buy a Hermann Tortoise at first but when my daughter saw Leopard Tortoises she loved them. They were in a Viv too which is why I thought they had to live in one and am shocked at your articles. We always try and do the very best for our pets and I'm glad that i have joined your site as it gives valuable information. My daughter is 10 years old, what would be the best breed of tortoise to have for her to look after and what will I need if you have any at the moment that need a loving home?
JJDavies

Next

Return to Rescue and Rehoming (Public)