Adopting tortoises/turtles

This list is of animals currently reported to us in need of a new home. Descriptions and circumstances (where known) are included. Full contact details are not. You will need to request these details. We must be satisfied that you have adequate facilities for the species you are applying for. There are no charges whatsoever.

Re: Adopting tortoises/turtles

Postby JJDavies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 am

My daughter is still nagging me everyday to have a tortoise! Bearing in mind she is only 10 years old, which tortoise would be the easiest to look after, what do I need to get in preparation and how long does this process take before rehoming can take place? I would really like to give a tortoise the best home he/she could wish for and ideally I would prefer to rescue one rather than go to a Pet Shop and buy one. I look forward to your reply. Thanks
JJDavies

Postby Julie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:12 pm

You really need to study the different species and then decide what you can offer. If you take a look at the posts by other members, you will pick up alot of info on the care that Tortoises need.
Hibernating or non-hibernating species? Juvenile or adult? Alot depends on the species, space you have available (both indoors and outdoors). Take a look on the Tortoise Trust main website www.tortoisetrust.org
you will see the different species and get a good idea on the care that is required.
Julie

Postby Stuart » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi JJD
I fully agree with Julie that you need to research fully the different species and what accommodation you can offer, bearing in mind the pre-Christmas stickers regarding puppies, that a dog is for life, and not just for Christmas; but in the case of tortoises it could well be the whole of your life .... and beyond!

I'd endorse your interest in leopard tortoises. Very engaging creatures once they're used to you etc. (I have four, three of them rehomed from the TT) They're obviously very attractive when they're small. Only star tortoises are prettier, in my opinion, and they keep their striking patterns into adulthood, as well as staying a manageable size, whereas Leopard tortoises can end up looking a little, well, dull once the concentric circles of black and yellow have broken up into a random pattern of broken black on yellow markings. But by then the other appeal (and also potential disadvantage) of leopards will have become obvious - they grow quite big! Third largest land tortoise, I think.

Both of these, leopards and stars, are non-hibernating, tropical tortoises. Advantage: they're wiith you all year round. Disadvantage: they're with you all year round! - and have to be fed, lit and heated potentially expensively, especially once they're too big to be kept indoors so easily. At least hibernators such as hermanns and testudo graeca or ibera sleep through the winter, and a fridge is cheaper to run than heat lamps, I think. (Actually I'm only guessing about that)

Anyway, as Julie says all the basic info is out there on the TT website, but if you want to get the undoubtedly biased :) opinion of anyone who keeps species in which you're interested, this is definitely the place to get passionate comment and advice!

PS Coincidentally I see that Julie has just posted in the Rehoming Section that there are still some of these little leos from the 2009 seizure requiring homes.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Julie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:32 pm

The 2009 Leopards can only be rehomed to Tortoise Trust members. You must be a fully paid up member.
Julie

Postby lisamiller » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi I'm wondering if you can tell me how to adopt a tortoise from you please ideally a horsefield as I am looking to offer a good home
Thanks
lisamiller

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:37 am

This is repeat (yet again) that in order to adopt using either of our systems we need:

a) To know you have SUITABLE AND SAFE accommodation available RIGHT NOW. Not in the future. WE NEED TO SEE PHOTOS OF BOTH YOUR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR ACCOMMODATION.

b)To know that you understand the dietary needs of the species you are applying to keep. Please research this BEFORE you apply, because if your application describes a diet which is wrong, you will fail. You will NOT be approved.

Please do not waste time (ours and yours) by applying to take tortoises when you do not have accommodation that meets our standards or where you intend using diets that fail to meet that species needs.
Tortoise Trust

Postby CactusVinnie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello!

I was thinking... as a foreigner, can I adopt?
I would be interested in Hermanni and Horsfieldi. Turkish Ibera sound good, but I want to breed only the local taxon. Others... non-hibernators... too difficult and already over the top, if I will have the chance to rehome hardier tortoises like Hermanni and Horsfieldi.

Thank you!
Fabian

http://www.coldhardycacti.freehosting.net
Testudo ibera
Testudo hermanni boettgeri
Testudo horsfieldi
Sternotherus carinatus
Sternotherus odoratus
Chrysemys picta picta
Apalone spinifer
CactusVinnie

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

The answer to that is.. it depends. In many cases, it is not possible to rehome outside of the country the animals are already in, as document requirements could not be met. Also, with others, there are specific restrictions in place, and in addition, the costs would be very high.

In some cases, it might be possible, but it would be on a case-by-case basis.
Tortoise Trust

Postby simonramsden » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi, I would be intrested in adopting a tortoise/ turtle in the future. Would you be able to suggest good set ups for either of these, preferably ones which will stay smaller, i do have out door area for a tortoise and i would set up a secure pen for it to roam around and eat the grass and stuff, i need suggestions for indoor housing during the night time for when it sleeps as i would like to keep it out of a vivarium of any size for as long as possible. i work for a company who supplies reptile equipment, for turtles we do have turtleaquariums that provide maximum floorspace and they do not have lids like fish tanks. would these be acceptable for turtles if it set this up have aquatic and half land? anysuggestions and tips/ advice would be very welcome. I have currently started a collection of leopard geckos and i have around 25 fishat this current time and i am looking to expand my collection of pets in the future. I was told to look on this site by a someone who has been a member for several years and she sold tortoise trust to me with the kind of work and beliefs you have for animals.

Kind Regards

Simon amsden
simonramsden

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue and Rehoming (Public)