Urgent - Leopard Tortoises Need Homes

This list is of animals currently reported to us in need of a new home. Descriptions and circumstances (where known) are included. Full contact details are not. You will need to request these details. We must be satisfied that you have adequate facilities for the species you are applying for. There are no charges whatsoever.

Urgent - Leopard Tortoises Need Homes

Postby Nadine Highfield » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 pm

These lovely leopard tortoises are still in need of permanent homes. There are fifteen in total. Laraine has done a wonderful job rearing these tortoises, but she is going to be having surgery on her shoulders and desperately needs to rehome all of them.

Laraine fostered all these tortoises without hesitation several years ago when they needed temporary placement. She has provided them with the best of care for several years now, and we are extremely grateful to her for her dedication to these tortoises. Given her forthcoming surgery and the number of tortoises in her care, we now urgently need to place them in permanent homes.

Leopard tortoises are a magnificent species that grow to be quite large. They do not hibernate, so need a large heated shed or outbuilding that is well insulated to prevent drafts and heat loss. They also need a large secure grazing area.
For further information about the care, diet and environmental requirements for Leopard Tortoises please read the following care guide on the Tortoise Trust website: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/cpardalis.html

If you already keep Leopard tortoises and have room for another, or you are new to this species but have the space and facilities required, please send a completed application and photos of your facilities to Nadine at tortoisetrustrehoming@gmail.com with "Laraine's Leopards" as the subject.

Please read the following information carefully before preparing your application:

You can read about the requirements for adoption and download an application here:
http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb3_live/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8511

This is information about our application process: http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb3_live/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9508

You can download a rehoming application here: http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/nadine/Downloads-Adoption_Application.doc

If you are unable to download an application you can find one here. Please copy and paste it into a document (or email) and send it to me with the photos of your facilities.: http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb3_live/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9808

These are the tortoises!

Nadine Highfield

Re: Urgent - Leopard Tortoises Need Homes (L.Spiteri)

Postby Nadine Highfield » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

These lovely tortoises are still in need of new homes. There are fifteen in total. If you have the space and facilities required to offer two or more a home, please send a completed application and photos of your facilities to Nadine at tortoisetrustrehoming@gmail.com with "Laraine's Leopards" as the subject. The situation is now urgent and these tortoises need to be rehomed as soon as possible.

Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Re: Urgent - Leopard Tortoises Need Homes

Postby Nadine Highfield » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:59 pm

We still need homes for these Leopard tortoises. Please send me an application and photos of you indoor housing and outdoor area if you would like to offer two or more a home (we would like them to have at least one companion). You can send your application to tortoisetrustrehoming@gmail.com

Thank you,
Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Postby Nadine Highfield » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

We have recently rehomed two of these lovely Leopard tortoises, but the rest are still waiting for a permanent home. Please see their listing for further details and links to application information. They need to rehomed urgently.

Thank you,
Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Postby celder86 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:25 pm

I would love to help rehome a leopard or two from yourselves. I currently have a 4 year old leopard tortoise. :)
celder86

Postby Nadine Highfield » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Celder86,

Thank you for offering a home to another Leopard tortoise. Please look at the listing for information about how to apply to rehome a tortoise and then send a completed application and photos of your facilities to me at TortoiseTrustRehoming@gmail.com

You didn't include your name here so please tell me that you were the person posting as Celder86

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nadine Highfield
Nadine Highfield

Postby CMG » Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm

please could you let me know how old/large the tortoises are?

we would be interested in adopting a couple but only have a small outdoor space which was suitable for a young Herman but wouldn't be anywhere big enough for larger leopards. We can easily extend the current space which would be suitable for smaller Leopards and also provide suitable indoor space for these.

The longer term plan would be to develop a larger part of the garden for fully grown Leopards - I guess I'm really asking how much time would we have to complete this??

Caite & co
CMG

Postby Stuart » Sat May 10, 2014 1:46 pm

CMG wrote: I guess I'm really asking how much time would we have to complete this?? Caite & co

Ideally they grow slowly, so you'd have a few years...but it depends on how much space you have to start with, and what you mean by a "young" hermanns".

Judging by the two I already have from the original group and if the remaining ones have grown at the same rate as my two have, they'll already be about 6" long - ie already bigger than a baby hermanns! "
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Nadine Highfield » Mon May 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Caite,

A number of the Leopard tortoises are between 13 and 15 cm, about the same size as Stuart's and there are two larger ones that are 19 cm and 30 cm

You could rehome some of the smaller ones provided you have enough space to enlarge their secure outdoor area as they grow. Leopard tortoises need a very spacious area that they won't be able to overgraze. You will also want to look at insulated outdoor housing that you can set up with lights and heating. You won't want them in the house once they get big.

Nadine

This is the big girl (Cass) with some of the smaller Leopard tortoises.

Nadine Highfield

Postby Nadine Highfield » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 am

Ten of Laraine's tortoises have been placed in a lovely new home in the south of England with a *very* spacious outdoor habitat area with some lovely big pampas grass and beautiful facilities. They'll have plenty of room to roam about and graze and in one of the warmest areas of the UK. :D

There are always other Leopard tortoises in need of homes though, so please send me an application if you are interested in offering a home to one (or more).

Thanks,
Nadine
Nadine Highfield

Next

Return to Rescue and Rehoming (Public)