Please help I'm going to go crazy

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Please help I'm going to go crazy

Postby Mosedale » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Good morning all. I REALLY need some advise on how to correctly gage my temperature under heat lamp. I'm using my fluke 561 and an in/ out thermometer with probe.
I have set the fluke and other probe at same spot under lamp and they read fluke 35, other thermometer 29. I then used the fluke in scan mode and at same spot it read 33. These appear to be to different to be reliable, so which way is best. How do you all achieve accurate readings. This is driving me insane now :? as I'm afraid of drying out my shell dwellers. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosedale

Re: Please help I'm going to go crazy

Postby JerryMaffz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

There can be differences between therms, but not usually by that amount. That large flat stone might be the issue as they will absorb heat. You may be getting stone temp on one and air temp on the other. Remove the stone and try again.
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby Mosedale » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm

JerryMaffz wrote:There can be differences between therms, but not usually by that amount. That large flat stone might be the issue as they will absorb heat. You may be getting stone temp on one and air temp on the other. Remove the stone and try again.

Thanks..I shall try that idea.
Mosedale

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 pm

The probe could well be reading ambient air temp while plugged into the fluke ,the fluke them could be reading ground / stone temp while in spot / scan mode..very good reliable product Fluke.
Hope this helps
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Mosedale » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:58 am

Bigjoe wrote:The probe could well be reading ambient air temp while plugged into the fluke ,the fluke them could be reading ground / stone temp while in spot / scan mode..very good reliable product Fluke.
Hope this helps
Joe

That makes sense. Do,you think I should take the basking stone away and leave the substrate as basking area ?
Mosedale

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:33 am

If you expose a PROBE to direct radiant heat, that probe itself will heat up and distort the readings. So use a non contact thermometer to take spot readings.

Use a probe thermometer for air temperature readings. See this:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/temperatures.htm
Tortoise Trust

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:If you expose a PROBE to direct radiant heat, that probe itself will heat up and distort the readings. So use a non contact thermometer to take spot readings.

Use a probe thermometer for air temperature readings. See this:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/temperatures.htm

For Andy...would you recommend I remove the basking rock or leave it be ? Thank you for your help.
Mosedale

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:27 am

I would mover it from directly under a lamp - off to the side - but otherwise, OK.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Mosedale » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:I would mover it from directly under a lamp - off to the side - but otherwise, OK.

Thank you. Temperature has settled now I've moved the slate.
Mosedale

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics