TORTOISE COURTSHIP - BITING

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

TORTOISE COURTSHIP - BITING

Postby andysmart » Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 am

I have been successfully breeding Horsfield tortoise for several years now. I have two mature female tortoises, who usually lay 5-6 eggs per season between them and they all hatch. I have 5 hatchlings from last year and they have all survived through the winter in vivarium and put on weight and are very active. I have around 4 mature males. I have 9 other smaller horsfield tortoise with a mixture of males and females. One of my females is being badly bitten by the males this year and I have isolated her as there are nasty deep flesh wounds on her forelegs. I have applied antiseptic cream and a plaster loosely fitted to protect her legs when she is re-introduced to the males for a period of time. This seems to put off the males from biting her forelegs but they still mate with her! The other female is fine, although she takes bites from the males without injury to her forelegs. The other thing to do perhaps is to trim a little the length of the beaks of the mating males, although I am reluctant to do this. Of course, this mating behaviour is normal, especially at the beginning of the breeding season. Do you have any advice please?
andysmart

Re: TORTOISE COURTSHIP - BITING

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 am

Certainly if the beaks are over-long or sharp, gentle trimming will help to reduce potential for injury.
Tortoise Trust

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics