living together...

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

living together...

Postby sprakey34 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi, would like to ask a question. I have 1 egg out of 5 currently hatching- the others have not looked promising- it was only half out of shell as I set off for work this afternoon. Unless it's upper front leg is stuck in the shell it looks like this hatchling may have a deformed leg. If it does and it survives i will keep it rather than find new home for it. However space is tight indoors having already got a 2 tier home for my Indian star who is about 6yrs now but only 5 inches long. The hatchling is Herman- mum and dad live outside. Generally it is a no no to mix breeds but as the star has had no contact with any other tortoise and this hatchling obviously wont have had, would the chances of cross contamination still apply if they were kept together until baby is big enough to go outside- they are kept in similar conditions and eat similar diet. Are the harmful pathogens actually in the make up of the tortoises or would they pick them up in the wild as they travel around.
many thanks
Meriel
sprakey34

Re: living together...

Postby sprakey34 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi, just heard from home that babe may not have made it- still only half out and no sign of life- so frustrating because i cant leave work to go and see if there is anything i can do. If anyone can answer my original question i would still like to know.
meriel
sprakey34

Re: living together...

Postby Tracy33 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 pm

So sorry there has been no one along Meriel . Maybe people are on holiday just now , as we have just arrived home also from a break , and I have just seen this .

I wonder how your hatchling got on ?

Sorry I cannot be of any help , but I hope the little one made it .
Tracy33

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics