Is growth ok ?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Is growth ok ?

Postby Mosedale » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Hello all. I wanted to ask if you could take a look at my tortoises pictures and let me know if their growth is proceeding normally. They are two years old. Weed fed and kept in an open enclosure with soil/ sand based substrate. Hibernated in fridge. They are outside in enclosure when weather permits. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosedale

Re: Is growth ok ?

Postby Mosedale » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

This really is not a very helpful forum.
Mosedale

Postby Stuart » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Mosedale wrote:This really is not a very helpful forum.

I'm sorry you think so.

I suppose you say this because there have been 24 views of your post, but no replies after two days. I was one of those who looked at your pictures, I think not long after you posted them, but delayed responding, partly because I didn't have the time then to give them proper consideration, and partly because you asked a difficult question. Others may have felt similarly, and there's also the possibility that many of those who viewed your post might not have felt qualified to respond.

My gut response was that they looked great - certainly smooth-looking - and they're probably fine. Why are you worried?
There are always other factors to consider, of course, weight gain being one of them, and people do have different opinions on these things. It would be interesting if anyone else comments, but this forum is quite quiet these days, with not many contributors or commentators.

Growing tortoises certainly requires patience, and maybe being part of this forum does too ;)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Mosedale » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:53 am

Thank you Stuart for your reply. I guess I was concerned as there is a lot of information regarding lumpy shells and what can be done to prevent it. I wanted to check early that all was coming along well. Also I lost a much loved tortoise to septicaemia, a couple of years ago now. The vet had no idea why. It has taken me a while to be confident to continue with my tortoise passion. New mummy syndrome lol. Thanks again, I feel happier they appear good. Julia.
Mosedale

Postby Stuart » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Ah. If it was a worry about pyramiding, I’d say they were looking good! Actually, they’re beautiful!
I was only hesitating to comment, as others may have done as well, if you were worried about their size...because that is harder to comment on! What might constitute normal growth? Of my own hatchlings, I have one that is much smaller than the others, but seems to be ok in other respects, and I’ve read that this can occur, but with no known reasons. Perhaps some tortoises just grow more slowly than others, or just “do” better. OTOH, one of my hatchlings, kept separately by my daughter, is much bigger than its siblings (and more perfectly formed too) - so maybe it’s something to do with my feeding regime, and the fact that bigger ones dominate in the feeding frenzies where a few tortoises are kept together.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tracy33 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes , I agree with Stuart Mosedale , your tortoises shells are beautiful and smooth . That's what all good tortoise keepers aim for !!..
Tracy33

Postby Mosedale » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Thank you x
Mosedale

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am

I would say that they look very good indeed. You are clearly using a good diet and your environmental conditions are evidently correct too. Well done!
Tortoise Trust

Postby LimaMikeSquared » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Mosedale - we lost our alligator snapping turtle to scepticemia last year. I am sorry to hear you lost your tortoise to it, it is a traumatic disease in shelled animals.

I am glad your pair are looking nice and happy :) I am constantly questioning if my little Indian Star is ok.

Julie
LimaMikeSquared

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics