Is this Normal ?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Is this Normal ?

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:09 pm

I don't know what to make of this , as my tortoise has been doing this for about four to five years . yes , always with this same water pool . If you move it , he chases it , he sits with it , sometimes sleeps with it , and well , the photo shows you the rest !!..

I dare not put the water pool in the garden or GH , as he would sit with it all day !!. It belongs in his indoor tortoise table , and he will take a bath in it , no problem .

He is between nine and ten years old .

I have wanted to pop this post on here for a while , so would be happy if anyone could let me know if this is normal ?
Tracy33

Re: Is this Normal ?

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Tracy33 wrote:Image

I don't know what to make of this , as my tortoise has been doing this for about four to five years . yes , always with this same water pool . If you move it , he chases it , he sits with it , sometimes sleeps with it , and well , the photo shows you the rest !!..

I dare not put the water pool in the garden or GH , as he would sit with it all day !!. It belongs in his indoor tortoise table , and he will take a bath in it , no problem .

He is between nine and ten years old .

I have wanted to pop this post on here for a while , so would be happy if anyone could let me know if this is normal ?

Lol males are renown for trying to mate with different objects, shoes, stone statues etc. All perfectly normal for a male tortoise.
Gets funny if you are wearing the shoe:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 am

Oh , okay , thanks for your reply Sandy .

I guess he has taken much of a liking to the water pool then , as for years there has been nothing else . I think I would rather that , then the shoe thing !!..

Thanks again Sandy .
Tracy33

Postby Sue Doxat » Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm

An old post, but I guess it will remain topical each year. My male spur thigh persisted in banging stones and flower pots so much, eventually damaged his plastron. He needed a surgical clean up and a resin repair a couple of years ago and it was eventually removed once he had healed. You can't remove :mrgreen: every stone in the garden, but it has taught me to be aware of the potential for such damage.
Sue Doxat

Postby Sandy » Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Sue Doxat wrote:An old post, but I guess it will remain topical each year. My male spur thigh persisted in banging stones and flower pots so much, eventually damaged his plastron. He needed a surgical clean up and a resin repair a couple of years ago and it was eventually removed once he had healed. You can't remove :mrgreen: every stone in the garden, but it has taught me to be aware of the potential for such damage.

At least its a post Sue:0)
It has been dead on here for quite a while, which is a shame:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Very interesting Sue .

I wonder if your tortoise has stoped it now , as where my tort is still at it .

I also agree Sandy , it is indeed, very quite on here .
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Tracy33 wrote:Very interesting Sue .

Lone males when they start mounting objects it will continue until they pass away:0(
It does not happen to all lone males, but quite a few:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks sandy . :)
Tracy33

Postby Stuart » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Sandy wrote:
Tracy33 wrote:Very interesting Sue .

Lone males when they start mounting objects it will continue until they pass away:0(
It does not happen to all lone males, but quite a few:0)

Perhaps such males deserve a mate - or even better, a group of compatible females?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), redfoots (2), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Stuart » Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Sandy wrote:At least its a post Sue:0)
It has been dead on here for quite a while, which is a shame:0(

Perhaps the TT Forum has had its day?

At least, as long as it is available to be consulted, the Forum will continue to provide an archive of very useful information and interesting discussion, whilst the TT Website will continue to provide solid and reliable information and fulfil its educational purposes.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), redfoots (2), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics