Thinking of introducing a new tortoise...

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Thinking of introducing a new tortoise...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm thinking of maybe getting a new tortoise. I have an adult female hermann (about 7 years) who has lived solitary since she was a juvanille.

Are tortoises more active/healthier in groups or pairs? Would she perhaps benefit from the interaction of another tortoise?

Would any one be able to advise me on how to introduce another tortoise or where to find information?

Thanks greatly! :)
Tortoise Salad

Re: Thinking of introducing a new tortoise...

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:04 am

Tortoise Salad wrote:Hi there,

I'm thinking of maybe getting a new tortoise. I have an adult female hermann (about 7 years) who has lived solitary since she was a juvanille.

Are tortoises more active/healthier in groups or pairs? Would she perhaps benefit from the interaction of another tortoise?

Would any one be able to advise me on how to introduce another tortoise or where to find information?

Thanks greatly! :)

Tortoises are solitary animals normally so are fine on their own.
But as long as you have enough space, adding to this one can be done. But it must be females, and even then some females dont get on. But this is not the norm.
But has to be mentioned as they can do damage to each other.
Also a good long quarantine is needed, to allow any new tortoise to get used to a new set up, and to make sure they are healthy and not carrying anything nasty.
Adding a male would be a no no as the female would be pestered beyond belief and can cause the female to stress and any underlying things can come out.
I keep a group of ibera ( one male and three females I have bred and one other female) and they have the run of my garden (60 x30 yards) and have a heated GH. And because they have enough room they get on well. And the male has enough females not to stress them:0)
If you have enough room outside to have two enclosures, then put them next to each other, so they can smell each other but not come in contact too soon. As tortoises can stress when introduced to a new garden and set up, and doubly if they have another tortoise added to them mix. There is always a risk when introducing a new tortoise to another, but it can be worth it.
Personally I think it would be better to do any new changes until next year, as this tortoise year is coming to an end, and trying to mix new tortoises now would be harder than if it were the beginning of the year.
There a plenty of tortoises that need rehoming so might be worth getting as much info for next year:0)
I hope this helps.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Salad » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 pm

Thank you Sandy, that's really helpful!

Your set up sounds like tortoise paradise! I'm not quite ready to get a new one yet any way as I need a new greenhouse and garden fence, it's not secure, so I only let her outside when I'm in the garden at the moment... plus I can't seem to get anything to grow so I wont have enough for 2 to eat.

So do tortoises only meet in the wild just to mate?

I actually mainly thought another one would be good for her because she is really inactive this year. Whenever I check on her she is asleep near the basking lamp whatever the temp outside is. Which has concerned me. Yet when I'm there she wakes up and either starts eating or sees me as something to chase or climb on, or follows me outside, So I don't know if that is normal. it just seems like she is bored in her enclosure until some activity is happening?... but perhaps if she had access to the garden and grazing that might be more of a natural environment to spend time exploring and grazing and not need much else?

So no rush then, I shall have a think about rehoming for next year when I'm organised :)

Thanks again! :)
Tortoise Salad

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 am

Tortoise Salad wrote:Thank you Sandy, that's really helpful!

Your set up sounds like tortoise paradise! I'm not quite ready to get a new one yet any way as I need a new greenhouse and garden fence, it's not secure, so I only let her outside when I'm in the garden at the moment... plus I can't seem to get anything to grow so I wont have enough for 2 to eat.

So do tortoises only meet in the wild just to mate?

I actually mainly thought another one would be good for her because she is really inactive this year. Whenever I check on her she is asleep near the basking lamp whatever the temp outside is. Which has concerned me. Yet when I'm there she wakes up and either starts eating or sees me as something to chase or climb on, or follows me outside, So I don't know if that is normal. it just seems like she is bored in her enclosure until some activity is happening?... but perhaps if she had access to the garden and grazing that might be more of a natural environment to spend time exploring and grazing and not need much else?

So no rush then, I shall have a think about rehoming for next year when I'm organised :)

Thanks again! :)

I have had this set up for over 30yrs now, and it works well:0)
To grow weeds in your garden, you need to collect seeds if possible through out the year, then sow them in late September in the garden. Also into pots. If you let the ones in pots get to the seed stage, you then have more seeds for the next year. Sowing late September allows the seed that need the cold to germinate. I have not had to sow more seeds for over ten years:0)
I would turn the heat off from late April (depending on where you live) and turn on again in Septmeber or October again depending on the weather and where you live.
I live in the SE and my torts have had no extra heat from the middle of April. If we have a few weeks of really cold weather I turn the heat on for a week the off again.
Female tortoises are really lazy and love to just bask. And only come out to eat if the heat is on:0) So turning off the heat makes them more active:0)
I have just fed my tortoises and they are all out enjoying the sunshine, and its only 8.30am:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Salad » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank you Sandy, yes perhaps it is too warm, I'll try that, though I usually turn the heat off mid day on sunny days any way, otherwise it's a bit cold and shady most of the time :)
Tortoise Salad

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics