Going on Holiday

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Going on Holiday

Postby Juliet » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Not sure if this topic has been posted before but I am in the middle of a tortoise sitter crisis and just wondered if anyone on the forum has any advice?
Going on holiday and having to leave my boys is always hard but to date I have had very good experiences ( some less good maybe!) of getting homesitters in to take care of my boys. A Horsefield and an African spur. They are kept apart obvioulsy and cross contamination is highlighted in their routine given to the sitter.
Now I have come to a cross road after my last sitter left and I have to again look for some one else and then train them and then make an assessment if they can be trusted to be strict with the cross contamination problem.
Is there such a thing as a 'list' of trusted tort minders or is this just wishful thinking on my part. Also as I live in Scotland I wondered if maybe the south did have a higher proportion of tortoise owners and by defualt more choice for tortoise minders?
Any advice/information would be very gratefully received. I don't want to get into the situation of not going away becuase I cannot find a suitable sitter. But obviously I need to know when I am away they are safe and well cared for.
Looking forward to hearing other tort owners experiences
Juliet

Re: Going on Holiday

Postby gettingwarmer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:19 am

Hello Juliet,

I'm sorry I can't offer a solution for you but I sure hope you are able to find somebody. Maybe someone from a local vet's office? Or a science teacher? Someone who cares and wants to learn, if nobody experienced is to be found . . . Your idea of a list is wonderful.

Best wishes,
Stephanie
gettingwarmer

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics