Sexing A Tortoise

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Sexing A Tortoise

Postby LYNNEB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi
I have popped an image of the plastron of Helpa, who hatched first week of January 2015, so coming up to 5 years old. The other hatchling from the clutch arrived on Christmas Day 2014,(hence called Santa).

Santa is looking very female, but is now dominating Helpa, who is a little smaller and of indeterminate sex. My thoughts were Helpa was female, but simply doesn't look quite right. I asked my exotics vet (Lance Jepson) what he thought and he agreed Santa is female, but like myself, not sure on Helpa. We had an interesting conversation on research, Lance had seen, around tortoises who hatch at mid temperature range who can show both male and female characteristics.

Any thoughts? :?: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LYNNEB

Re: Sexing A Tortoise

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 pm

LYNNEB wrote:Hi
I have popped an image of the plastron of Helpa, who hatched first week of January 2015, so coming up to 5 years old. The other hatchling from the clutch arrived on Christmas Day 2014,(hence called Santa).

Santa is looking very female, but is now dominating Helpa, who is a little smaller and of indeterminate sex. My thoughts were Helpa was female, but simply doesn't look quite right. I asked my exotics vet (Lance Jepson) what he thought and he agreed Santa is female, but like myself, not sure on Helpa. We had an interesting conversation on research, Lance had seen, around tortoises who hatch at mid temperature range who can show both male and female characteristics.

Any thoughts? :?: :?:

I would say this tortoise is female:0)
Females can try and dominate another female to become alpha female:0)
Males tend to be smaller than females:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby LYNNEB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks Sandy, appreciate your reply.

I am leaning towards female, I would have suspected a longer tail for a male spur thigh, even at only 5 years old. I was hoping they would live together peaceably, which indeed they do if outside, but it's a bit too chilly outside at the moment! I have separated them for the time being, possible as the hibernators have gone for their big sleep. Time to review and replan I think:)
LYNNEB

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:51 am

LYNNEB wrote:Thanks Sandy, appreciate your reply.

I am leaning towards female, I would have suspected a longer tail for a male spur thigh, even at only 5 years old. I was hoping they would live together peaceably, which indeed they do if outside, but it's a bit too chilly outside at the moment! I have separated them for the time being, possible as the hibernators have gone for their big sleep. Time to review and replan I think:)

To be honest if the unwanted behaviour is not too bad and the other tortoise is definitely female then I would let it go on for a while until one is alph female. Then it should subside. Or if you could break up their eye line, or give them more space.
What species are the tortoises?
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby LYNNEB » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi Sandy

The behaviour involves limited butting and mounting, no biting or mating type display. some days it happens, some days it does not, it seems to depend on the temperature in the tort room, the warmer it is, the more likely Santa is going to go on a bashing spree. When they are outside in their pen, spring/summer it doesn't happen at all. They are spur thighs, forgive me if I use the term Golden Greeks, I appreciate that there is debate as to whether TGT is a legit "species" as such :? Will pop a photo of them below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LYNNEB

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:29 am

LYNNEB wrote:Hi Sandy

The behaviour involves limited butting and mounting, no biting or mating type display. some days it happens, some days it does not, it seems to depend on the temperature in the tort room, the warmer it is, the more likely Santa is going to go on a bashing spree. When they are outside in their pen, spring/summer it doesn't happen at all. They are spur thighs, forgive me if I use the term Golden Greeks, I appreciate that there is debate as to whether TGT is a legit "species" as such :? Will pop a photo of them below

If its just that sort of behaviour it is domination, and provided they dont do any real damage to themselves, I would let them just get it sorted out:0)
My females do the same when they are gravid, and dont do any damage. I keep iberas:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics