Seperate my tortoises?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Seperate my tortoises?

Postby shannster » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:09 am

I opened a thread earlier with some similar questions as I am about to ask. I have three tortoises (one female and two males) I am going to give one of them to my aunt and I just want to know if it's ok to seperate them after they have been together presumably their entire lives? And which one is the one I should give away?
So male 1 and female sleep together every night practically on top of each other and one seems to a bit of a loner. We are planning to give away the loner male 2.
Sometimes both males bite the female but have yet to break her scales . And the males haven't fought with each other as far as I know . Also male 2 seems to head butt the barriers and doesn't really ever socialize with the others.
Is it ok if we give away male 2 because the other two seem to be a couple .
shannster

Re: Seperate my tortoises?

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:35 am

Looking back at the earlier discussion, I see that you were poised to give the female to your aunt, because the males were both bothering her...but you were worried about her being lonely.(No-one further replied)

However, Andy had already suggested that some tortoises do seem to "bond" in which case he wouldn't separate them, and he had also advised you to go on your own observations.

Presumably this is what you have done...

I'd say that if you are already committed to giving one to your aunt, and you are now planning on keeping the female, then giving away the "lone" male seems reasonable. In any case, the usual advice is not to keep two or more males with a single female...for obvious reasons.

Also male 2 seems to head butt the barriers and doesn't really ever socialize with the others.

Another thought: Mating habits vary with species, and I don't think your species have been identified?

For example, testudo graeca ibera, now usually just called testudo ibera, gain the female's attention by constantly launching themselves at her carapace, sides and rear, until the female allows them to mount her.
Hermanns tortoises don't do this, but circle around and bite the legs of the female.

I'm ashamed to say that, in my ignorance at that time, for years and years I erroneously kept my mature ibera male with my mature Hermanns female. [In my defence, they'd been sold together, and it didn't occur to me that they were different species - information was not as readily available then as it is now, in the age of the internet (and the Tortoise Trust!)] Naturally she did not accept his aggressive advances, but he bashed into her undeterred, and over time caused extensive damage to her carapace.

It is possible that your three are not necessarily the same species. Perhaps it would be worth having them identified before you make your final decision? Good sharp photos of each, showing head and tail, carapace and plastron, would be very useful.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby shannster » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 am

Thank you Stuart ! If I post pictures can you identify them for me ?
shannster

Postby Stuart » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:21 pm

shannster wrote:If I post pictures can you identify them for me ?

If I can't, someone will!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics