taking pet tortoises and turtles overseas?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

taking pet tortoises and turtles overseas?

Postby Avatar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm

I have been reading some old posts and sorry if the same questions have been asked before.
My family is now considering moving to Australia and so far the application process has gone smoothly. However I am a bit worried as it may not be easy to take pet tortoises and turtles to Australia. I have googled and found it is almost 100% sure pet reptiles are not allowed as Australia has the strictest rules on the import of non-native species. RES are also considered as pests and people are encouraged to report when they see one (...and sadly I have one RES.... :( ). I don't want to leave them behind (if the application is successful) and so I want to do a little bit of planning right now. Currently I have 1 sulcata, 1 RES, 1 Reeve's turtle and 1 Chinese striped-neck turtle.
Are these tortoise/turtles allowed to enter the US and the UK? I have heard the import of sulcata is banned in the US but does this cover pet tortoises?
If yes, is CITES document required? It looks like it's a must for sulcata, but how about the turtles? and I am not in the EU.
Many thanks.
Gloria
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Re: taking pet tortoises and turtles overseas?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Avatar wrote: Currently I have 1 sulcata, 1 RES, 1 Reeve's turtle and 1 Chinese striped-neck turtle.
Are these tortoise/turtles allowed to enter the US and the UK? I have heard the import of sulcata is banned in the US but does this cover pet tortoises?
If yes, is CITES document required? It looks like it's a must for sulcata, but how about the turtles? and I am not in the EU.
Many thanks.
Gloria

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible as far as Australia goes. I cannot see that they would allow any of them in.

The US would be difficult, but not entirely impossible - though there is a general ban now on G. sulcata.

You would have to enquire with USFWS as to precise rules and regulations.

It would not be a good idea to bring a sulcata to the UK - they are unbelievably challenging to keep in that climate.

The costs of all that would also be very high indeed. Thousands - not hundreds. I would really suggest looking at rehoming locally.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Avatar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks for your reply :)
Yes not a good idea to have a sulcata in the UK...of course climate is one of my considerations. Each time I read posts telling people how bad the weather will be I wish I could send some sunshine and warmth :lol: I have lots of sunshine...more than I want.
But at least now I know not all places shut their doors...so will do a bit more searching...
Unfortunately it is not easy to find a good home... too many tortoises/turtles available in the market and some are still waiting to be rehomed...and it is never easy to find someone with competent hands :cry:
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:58 am

Where are you based, Gloria (you can PM me if you prefer)?

No, it never is easy, but there are good people out there... just a case of connecting with them.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Avatar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:Where are you based, Gloria (you can PM me if you prefer)?

Hi Andy I am in Hong Kong, a former British colony. :)
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Reeves's turtle

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics