What to do with a stray tortoise?

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

What to do with a stray tortoise?

Postby epsolem » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:05 pm

tortoise.jpg

I came across a tortoise at the side of the road while on holiday in a remote area of southern France (photo attached).

I've placed notices on local boards in the hope that someone will claim it, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice on what to do with it.

I haven't got a good place to put it or any transport to take it to a vet, so for the last 3 days I've kept it in the bottom of an open cupboard on a bed of dry leaves. I've been letting it out for a walk in the garden a couple of times a day. It seems quite active and is very persistent in trying to escape, but doesn't seem interested in food or drink. I've tried leaving a variety of herbs and flowers and a bit of lettuce, but the only thing it's eaten is a small piece of water melon that I hand-fed it today. I've tried putting it in a tray of water, but it doesn't drink.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
epsolem

Re: What to do with a stray tortoise?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:32 pm

epsolem wrote:
tortoise.jpg

I came across a tortoise at the side of the road while on holiday in a remote area of southern France (photo attached).

Where EXACTLY in Southern France?

It is in all likelihood NOT a "stray" but a native, wild, Testudo hermanni hermanni.

In fact, it IS a Testudo hermanni hermanni. There is evidence of old predator attacks...but it appears to be in good condition generally. Depending on where you found it, the best option is release ASAP back into the wild, where it belongs. Never release too close to roads.
Tortoise Trust

Postby epsolem » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Andy, thank you so much for your help!

I'm about 20 miles inland from San Raphael, which on further reading is native territory for Testudo hermanni hermanni. I had no idea there were wild tortoises around here (neither did any of the locals I've asked!)

I'll release it immediately!
epsolem

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am

Excellent!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Clara » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:32 am

Brilliant news! So glad you will do the right thing epsolem and hopefully you will be rewarded with occasional spontaneous visits.

I have just been reading some posts on another forum from an English lady in Mallorca that has been "rescuing" wild tortoises. She has accumulated 5 so far and it looks like some of them are adults. She is totally ignoring anyone (including me, repeatedly!) that suggests that they are better off being released somewhere safe even when I, and others have pointed out the law against it. Sadly she gets tons of encouragement. Really makes me despair.

Clara
Clara

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Unfortunately, many people simply do not understand the complexities of tortoises requirements and just how very difficult - if not impossible - it is to provide exactly what they need in a captive situation, even in the natural range...

I have even had very silly people insist that they are "better off" in captivity and state that they feel "sorry" for those in the wild...

:roll:
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Happy ending to this one,this is the outcome when people come here for the best advice,Clara keep plugging away with the lady in Mallorca you just might get thru to her
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby epsolem » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Unfortunately, this isn't quite the happy ending I'd hoped for!

Someone has responded to the notice I put up, claiming the tortoise. Obviously I feel bad now... could anybody tell me if a domesticated tortoise likely to survive in the wild?

I left it in a wooded area, close to a river bed far from any roads. The area is to the north of Draguignan, close to the village of Claviers - its wooded hills as far as the eye can see!

Thank you all for your comments! :-)
epsolem

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am

epsolem wrote:Unfortunately, this isn't quite the happy ending I'd hoped for!

Someone has responded to the notice I put up, claiming the tortoise. Obviously I feel bad now... could anybody tell me if a domesticated tortoise likely to survive in the wild?

I left it in a wooded area, close to a river bed far from any roads. The area is to the north of Draguignan, close to the village of Claviers - its wooded hills as far as the eye can see!

Thank you all for your comments! :-)

There is a tortoise village at Golforon (sp) which is great to visit. You can see a great breeding programme to help reintergrating hatchlings into the wild areas where they originated in that part of France.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:52 am

epsolem wrote:Unfortunately, this isn't quite the happy ending I'd hoped for!

I know that area. I have been there... good spot. It will be absolutely fine.
Tortoise Trust

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics