Shell lubrication

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Shell lubrication

Postby Itismenat » Sun May 06, 2018 12:38 am

Hello,

My baby hermann’s was seen recently by a vet. I was told that for an aesthetic reson I should use a kind of a horse ointment. What do you think about it?
Itismenat

Re: Shell lubrication

Postby gettingwarmer » Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 am

Oooh, that sounds strange. Tortoises are most beautiful when we keep them as close to their wild, natural ways as we can. No no horse ointment!

I don't know whether there might be health consequences from using the ointment.

Best wishes,
Stephanie
gettingwarmer

Postby AliTBimbo » Sun May 06, 2018 7:21 am

They look much nice natural - all sorts of problems can arise from blocking the carapace with anything - shell rot, bacterial infection etc... The shell itself is living and growing so needs to be clear of anything. There's nothing wrong with using a soft baby's toothbrush gently whilst tort in luke warm water. But never put anything on the shell :)
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
1:0:0 TGI Spur Thigh Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.youniqueproducts.com/alitaylor
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Sun May 06, 2018 9:09 am

Itismenat wrote:Hello,

My baby hermann’s was seen recently by a vet. I was told that for an aesthetic reson I should use a kind of a horse ointment. What do you think about it?

I would change my vet, as they have no idea of tortoise husbandry:0(
Only water should be used on a tortoises she'll, and rarely even then.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 am

[my emphasis]

Was there a problem that caused you to visit the vet in the first place/

As for the shell, why would you need to put anything on it "for an aesthetic reason"? Does the vet not think a tortoise is beautiful enough as it is? OK, if you want to see the beautiful patterning more clearly, then a spray of luke warm water will wash off any dust etc...but make sure that the tortoise can dry off thoroughly afterwards, in the sun or under a basking lamp.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Stuart » Sun May 06, 2018 9:19 am

Sandy wrote:

I would change my vet, as they have no idea of tortoise husbandry:0(
Only water should be used on a tortoises she'll, and rarely even then*.

*Perhaps a gentle spray from time to time, ie mimicking mediterranean rain? Probably beneficial - clears the carapace of dust etc and often stimulates drinking too.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Itismenat » Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you for all your answers!

Yes, according to my vet, his shell was not pretty enough. Probably he wanted it shiny.

Stuart, my tortoise had swollen eyes. The vet gave him eye drops with vitamins A and D, which helped a lot. I also started to use witamins powder. And I am still waiting for Nutrobal - I ordered it a while ago on Amazon.

I also think that I shouldn’t put any ointment on his shell. They don’t shine in the wild, right?
Itismenat

Postby Stuart » Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Itismenat wrote:I also think that I shouldn’t put any ointment on his shell. They don’t shine in the wild, right?

Very true. (Unless it rains!)
Hope the rest of him brightens up, though! (i.e. his eyes!)
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Itismenat » Tue May 08, 2018 2:35 am

Thank you, Stuart :) He is much better now.
Itismenat

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 am

Definitely time for a change of vet...

Very unlikely the swollen eyes were anything to do with 'vitamins' either. Far more likely the carrier fluid merely lubricated them...
Tortoise Trust

Next

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics