Misleading "Captive Bred" claims by websites

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Misleading "Captive Bred" claims by websites

Postby pauline » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I purchased 2 hermans and was told they were captive bred, as i had seen around 10 adult torts i assumed they had been hatched in the same place, then on a recent visit to the shop they were displaying there first captive born tortoise :evil: ,
the certificate arrived after 4 weeks saying they were hatched in slovenia
there was nothing i could do as the shop had a 3 day return policy
i dread to think what conditions they were in when they were shipped here, 1 has pneumonia and a bad eye infection both had worms

pauline
3.1.2 hermans
4 daughters
1 hubby
x
pauline

Postby insenceaddict » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Dont beat yourself up about it, lots of people have bought from pet stores, knowing no different. however, from here on in they will have a good home and good care no doubt. i assume you have seen a vet about the pneumonia etc? as i have had one die with that, very quickly, despite treatment. the real unlucky ones are those that are shipped in via the pet trade, then spend thier lives in a 2 foot vivarium being fed pellets! yours are lucky.
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby marcusgribble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:50 am

The term 'captive bred' is too vague I think, technically they are captive bred, but instead on farms in Slovenia and I think Macedonia. It would be more beneficial to say 'UK bred', so there is a better chance of them being healthy, importing tortoises in the past has kept the price of buying one low, but now there are enough professional & hobby breeders out there to maybe stop importing.

Marcus
1 male & 3 females Hermanni Boettgeri, 1 hatchling thb & 5 eggs
marcusgribble

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:33 pm

marcusgribble wrote:The term 'captive bred' is too vague I think, technically they are captive bred, but instead on farms in Slovenia and I think Macedonia. It would be more beneficial to say 'UK bred', so there is a better chance of them being healthy, importing tortoises in the past has kept the price of buying one low, but now there are enough professional & hobby breeders out there to maybe stop importing.

Marcus

CF (Captive Farmed) would be more honest.

It would be interesting to be able to find out how many UK breeders ever sell their hatchlings through a pet shop. I don't think I could bring myself to do that, although I've only successfully hatched four so far. Perhaps if one produces multiple clutches, it become harder to find purchasers personally, or emotionally easier to sell them on through the trade? But even then, somehow I doubt it.
(A bit like pedigree dogs: you don't buy such a puppy from a pet shop, you go to the breeder, and are suspicious of anyting that looks like mass production or puppy farming)

I think I would assume that no baby tortoises available in pet shops/garden centres etc are UK CB.

(Could we have at least have accurate labelling as under the Trade Descriptions Act?)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Paul Kingtiger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 pm

A lot of people simply don't care. The fact that petshops continue to stock live animals is an indication that people continue to buy them. I know people over here (in the states) that have bought puppies from shops despite the fact that shelters have plenty of puppies available for re-homing.

Quite why anyone would want or need to buy from a store when there are so many animals, including young animals (some people just have to have a puppy or kitten) is beyond me. But people still do. It all comes down to education, getting the message out there that shelters offer lower prices, healthier animals (though better husbandry) and ethical piece of mind.
Paul Kingtiger
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 am

A useful publication from TRAFFIC highlighting the scale of the problem.

Worth a read.

http://www.traffic.org/general-reports/ ... _gen51.pdf
Tortoise Trust

Postby Jessamy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Even in person people are deceptive. I got my Redfoot at a reptile show, I knew some would be WC or from a farm but I wanted a small breeder so I would ask about origin. Well, though I was polite, most would first ignore my question then get hostile if I asked again. Assuming the seller was even around, many just had an unknowledgeable helper doing sales. I finally found one breeder with hatchlings (I originally wanted a yearling) who cared about and understood tortoises( had an accurate care sheet, ran a turtle&tortoise group,) and when I asked he told me most at the shows are WC and it was unlikely I would find a year old from a breeder, as it is to costly to feed them (he said all his hatchlings find homes so he had none older). I ended up buying a hatchling from him of course, but I hadn't realized it would be difficult. I have seen internet sites and most seem too vague to me, though some enthusiast sites that also sell animals may be ok?
Jessamy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I have been working with tortoises for over 30 years now, and I have seen so many scams involving "captive breeding" I've lost count....

I am at the point when unless it hatches in front of me, I don't believe it! :shock:

Some tortoise and turtle club people are the very worst. All sorts of shady deals going on. Example:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00023.html
Tortoise Trust

Postby pepsiandjac » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

I replied to an ad on preloved for an aldabra a few weeks ago,i was told i could pick any age i wanted,then i was offered everything from indian star torts to egyptian torts, any sex any age.When i googled the seller he was based in Germany.
pepsiandjac

Postby greentrees » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I live in France and am trying to get the paperwork sorted for selling some of my tortoises. My one male and two females seem to get together and produce eggs. France is really strict and it has taken me nearly two years to organize all the paperwork. Why can't France be the same.
greentrees

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics