Vivarium tank vs. Tortoise Table - THE TEST - SOME RESULTS

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Vivarium tank vs. Tortoise Table - THE TEST - SOME RESULTS

Postby Bentley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Andy,
Thank you for the low down on these loggers, I Will buy a couple of the probe ones so that there is the live update, although they will not be as accurate they will give me a god implication if its to hot or to cold in the areas they are put in, and I will also purchase one of these button size data loggers to show me weekly layouts of how the levels have been doing and adjust accordingly, I may also stick it onto the back of the tortoise so I can view the habits of its microclimates which should show some interesting results :) I see the program is on special offer, such a shame I dont have enough to purchase it, how does the data come off the tiny little button, is it plugged into a usb cradle or something simular?

Thanks
Bentley 8-)
Bentley P (Apple Certified Final Cut Pro)
Bentley

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 pm

You can see the USB adapter here. Downloading data to my Macbook Pro (running Win XP under VM Ware Fusion).

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bentley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Andy,
So that is all included in the kit when you buy it or is that all separate? and thanks for the picture, I see how the usb is working now, much like a cradle/dock for the logger

Bentley
Bentley

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 am

Well, they don't include a free MBP! :lol:

Depends on the specific loggers, but just visit http://www.signatrol.com/data-loggers/sl54th.php for details of the ones we use here. I find these very good indeed. Their small size means a very fast response rate to temperature fluctuations.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bentley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Righto, just checked out that, damn im now really annoyed I dont have any cash in the bank that tempIT pro money off voucher code is really cheap :lol: , I suppose there will always be another day, so long as I can read the data off of there free version of the software, then im fine, A simple screen shot and a printout of that will be fine for my requirements.

Bentley
Bentley

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:54 am

Just a note to say that the long-awaited part of these tests dealing with tortoise tables will be out very soon. Some of these tests take quite a while to run, and we double check everything.

Thank you for your patience.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise7 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Andy
I think it is us that should be saying "Thank you for your patience" to you, for doing this research and sharing your findings. Look forward to reading the next chapter

Jane H
Jane H
2 Hermans Boettgeri
Cat
2 Rabbits Dutch/Lops
Husband: converted tortoise lover
Mollies, Guppies, Corydora's & Gourami's
Tortoise7

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:27 am

The Tortoise Table test is (finally) available for download. Sorry this took so long.

ttphotos/Tortoise%20Vivarium%20Tests%20Part%20Three.pdf

Andy & Nadine
Tortoise Trust

Postby lilacdragon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:58 pm

A really interesting and helpful piece of research, Andy. These three files are essential reading for vivarium designers I think.

I checked out your ReptileUV MegaRay 160W lamp reading.
183 µW/cm² from the last 160W MegaRay lamp I tested was equivalent to UV Index 5.5 - that's the sort of UV you get on a lovely late June morning here in the UK. Very nice.

(The conversion is different for every brand of lamp. 183 µW/cm² of natural sunlight is round about UV Index 3.3.)

All the best
Frances
Frances Baines
www.uvguide.co.uk
lilacdragon

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 am

Hi Frances,

I will get that GEKO tube out to you soon. Sorry for delay - just been totally overworked and lots of travel over this past month or two (with another 10-day trip coming up).

This has all been very interesting. I have to say that I agree very much with one comment made earlier, that the people selling some of this stuff clearly cannot possibly have tested it adequately before bringing it to market. You have a strange situation where their own literature stresses the need for a gradient - yet the product fails abysmally to deliver one! Anyone with a couple of thermometers could establish that in a few hours. I find it very disturbing that people are "pushing" products that are basically unsuitable, inhumane and actually unlawful (under the AWA) to naive buyers. It is the animals who will pay the price for this, of course.

I just do not understand it. Why market bad products when you could market good products? It is not that hard to do. You just have to think about what an animal needs, then check that your products at least approaches that. Selling vivariums that cannot provide an adequate basking temperature (or which cook your tortoise), or which have no gradient and no UV-B strikes me as downright unethical. Animals will suffer and die as a result.

Consumers of vivarium products need to get educated about what is needed, and start demanding that the products they are sold deliver what is promised
. Some of the products currently being sold should be taken off the market as they are little more than death traps. I am pleased to report that as a direct result of this study, and with the help of Trading Standards, the dreadful, lethal (to humans!) GEKO vivarium appears to be no more in the UK. Watch out for it popping up under other names however, as it is simply a 'no-name' brand from China.

Finally, on the subject of enclosed 'tanks' - yes, we know they can work. However, small tanks (less than 3 feet) are very rarely much use for reasons that are made very obvious in these tests. If you want to use that type of habitat, get a big one. Ideally, in the 4-6 foot range with as much width as possible. Also consider some forced air circulation. That helps quite a lot. Test the result yourself. Don't rely on marketing hype or 'Internet wisdom'. Use these tests as a guide, and run your own experiments. Not only will you learn a lot, you will make your pet's life much happier, healthier and safer.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

PreviousNext

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics