Opinions and advice on these forums

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Opinions and advice on these forums

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 am

We would like to draw your attention to the following which is already included in the forum rules:

* I acknowledge that the views and opinions expressed in the Tortoise Trust Forum are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of The Tortoise Trust, or of the administrators and moderators of the Tortoise Trust Forum.

To amplify this, just as on the mailing list, we do not censor or control what is said here (with the exception of removing anything offensive or preventing spam), nor do we have the time to read and check every single post. Therefore, just because you see certain "facts" or advice here DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS NECESSARILY ACCURATE OR THAT THE TORTOISE TRUST AGREES WITH IT.

The only information we formally endorse is that to be found on the Tortoise Trust website at www.tortoisetrust.org

Please see the ARTICLES area there for our official, formal policy and advice on all aspects of chelonian care.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/articles.html

If you have any doubt at all about any aspect of care, please cross-check with above website. We keep it up to date and current.

Andy Highfield
Tortoise Trust
Tortoise Trust

Re: Opinions and advice on these forums

Postby Nicky C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 am

I am glad this area has been highlighted. Some times when I read posts, I do not always entirely agree with replies. I think new keepers in particular should realise that a 'discussion list' means just that.
Nicky
Nicky C

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:29 pm

I agree with you Nicky, but I think the fact that I'm agreeing with you highlights a problem with a NICE FRIENDLY FORUM like this, people are more than willing to agree but less likely to stand up and DISAGREE with someone else's (a possible friends) opinion.
To have a healthy discussion/debate on subjects we all need to voice our own/differing opinions in the hope that the outcome is in the best interest of the Tortoise/Turtle and keeper.
Matt
Matt

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 pm

To clarify, we have no problem with people posting disparate views or opinions on anything. We just need to make it clear that just because something appears on here it does not mean that "the Tortoise Trust says". When we give formal advice, or make specific recommendations, this is often based upon extensive research conducted over a long period (for example, the present work on comparing the environments produced by different types of indoor housing).

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby suej » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote: Therefore, just because you see certain "facts" or advice here DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS NECESSARILY ACCURATE OR THAT THE TORTOISE TRUST AGREES WITH IT.
Andy Highfield
Tortoise Trust

The important thing to remember is that my opinion is just that, not the TT's opinion and when someone asks for help they should remember that too and for instance when giving advice to someone it is as well to think about that persons species and where they are living. Totally misleading advice could be given without intention if not fully aware of the facts and I include myself in that.
suej

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics