Urgent Product Safety Alert - Geko brand vivariums

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Urgent Product Safety Alert - Geko brand vivariums

Postby marianne3 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Help - I've only just logged on to the forum and am shocked and embarressed to say that I fell for Gekozone and purchased one of their vivs which they sold to me saying it was for a tortoise - especially good for the first time tortoise keeper.
I've just called an electrician and he's coming Wednesday - I'll contact Trading Standards - I see from an earlier post from Andy that all purchasers were being contacted - Gekozone have never contacted me.
Should I contact Gekozone direct myself or contact Trading Standards first? Any practical help anyone can give to me would be most appreciated.

Thanks - Marianne Allitt
(sorry I didn't sign my original message with my name)

Forum rules - please sign your posts
marianne3

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:58 pm

I would contact your local Trading Standards, with a copy of our report on the product.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby marianne3 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks Andy
I have just spoken to Trading Standards - the lady I spoke to suggested that I email Gekozone direct and tell them I wish to make a claim under the Sales of Goods Act and ask for a refund based on the fact the viv is not safe, durable and not satisfactory and not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.
She suggested that I email a copy of the report you have produced to Gekozone and then also to send a copy to my credit card company because I may be able to get my money back from them if Gekozone have gone out of business or refuse to pay etc.
Am I allowed to send a copy of your report to Gekozone?
Thanks for your help in this matter
Marianne Allitt
marianne3

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:44 am

Certainly. That is what is for.

That particular vivarium should never have been sold in the first place. Absolutely the most dangerous reptile accessory I have seen in 30 years. By far.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Postby marianne3 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Just to say I contacted Gekozone and they didn't even seem to batter an eye lid - they wrote an email to me and apologised and gave me my money back in full - I've returned it to them but I just wanted to let everyone know in case people thought it was too much hassel to attempt to get their money back and not bother - we felt like that but so glad we emailed them - I sent them a copy of the report and asked them to get back to me within 7 days but they got back to us within the hour so all being said, they were very helpful - just a shame in the first place that they sold such tragic vivs!
marianne3

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 am

Good outcome. Thanks for letting us know.

Andy
Tortoise Trust

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics