Viral Diseases - Beware

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Viral Diseases - Beware

Postby suej » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:19 am

That was my thought too Steve, can certain species such as Iberas and Marginateds live and breed quite happily while carrying the virus and if the virus doesn't show up on tests done on otherwise healthy animals would it ever be possible to tell if a population was clean?
suej

Postby Dido » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I have been reading this thread with interest as there are possibly two scenarios which i have to give some thought and quickly.
My Husband now 52 was given a tortoise (Toby) when he was 10 years of age, he has always lived with his Mum (Toby not OH) but now MIL is getting older she worries about carrying Toby to his day run as he is quite a large lad nowadays recently she was considering asking us to take him but changed her mind before she actually did - if that makes sense. We have a large female which we found last year we have built her a big enclosure and the planting is growing nicely there is enough space for Toby to join her but the quarantine issue concerns me, we know Toby has not been in contact with anything over the last 40+ years but he is from another part of the country.
On the same subject but two different tortoises, a friend of mine has two about the same size of ours, due to their own ill health they cannot put the tortoises out each day and they spend most of their time in a very small indoor enclosure and i worry that their basic needs are not being considered and i would like to offer them a home.
My first consideration must be for Dido our tortoise (Med thigh spurred) and Toby same breed but older and larger but if it were possible to help Speedy and Jack too then i would like to at least offer.
I would really appreciate your thoughts on this as you all have so much more experience and i just want to do the right thing by all of them
Dido

Postby Julie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi,
Even though the one Tort has not had company, i would still recommend the quarantine period. The stress of the move can bring out 'underlying' illnesses. What sex are all Tortoises you are thinking of helping? Are all same species?
Julie

Postby Dido » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi Julie
Just found out they are all med spur thighed, The others are all male our Dido is female
Dido

Postby Julie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:59 pm

If thats the case, then i really wouldnt put them together, not even after a quarantine period. You risk the female being stressed out by the constant attention of all of those boys.
Julie

Postby Dido » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:08 pm

would she be ok with just Toby, he is a tort crossed with a sloth he is nowhere near as active as her, it isn't a problem we can build another run alongside after quarantine period that is but is seems a shame for them to be alone - or am i humanising them both?
Dido

Postby Julie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Keeping one male to one female isnt a good ratio, to be honest. You could try it, but have another enclosure on standby to give your girl a break. Quarantine should be carried out though before they are introduced.
Julie

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm

You also say Med Spur-thighed... but which kind? They are very different....

If unsure, post photos for ID.
Tortoise Trust

Postby sky » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Ok!! Is this a silly question say god forbid you lose your torts to this virus, does than mean No future torts or after a period of time you could start to keep again?? Sorry for my ignorance.
Sky (Kayx)
Keeper of Hermanns.
sky

Postby Karti » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 am

will keep that in mind, thank you
Karti

Previous

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics