Rehoming - Clarification

Use this forum to discuss any question or topic not included under the specialty headings.

Re: Rehoming - Clarification

Postby Jonesy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:49 am

Rehoming is a very difficult task as you can never be sure about the humans commitment.
I go and check the homes but this does take up a lot of time and even then you cannot guarantee the care and attention you see when you visit, will continue.

You can only do so much and hope you have placed the tortoise in a good home.
It is coming more apparent that unless they are stopped from importing them it can only get worse for these tortoises.

It would take a very big concern to care for the seizures, imported ones and also to provide the correct husbandry for all the sulcatas, leopards and other tropicals who will sooner rather than later be appearing on our doorsteps, because
"my circumstances have changed", "I cannot look after them any more", "I cannot afford to keep them" and many more excuses. WHO is going to pay for all this and run it????

I had someone contact me the other day who was interested in fostering. I explained about their husbandry and what a tortoises needs. I then explained that a home check would be required but that this could be done in the spring as they were now starting to close down for hibernation and that I did not rehome at this time of year.
The reply that I got was "so why can't I have one now" "I only want a baby that can live indoors" "I can buy a viv tomorrow" "Then I will just go and buy one"
I tried to explain why this was not a good idea but they were just not listening.
I then said that perhaps they should consider getting a different pet but if they decided that they would like to foster then get back in touch. Possibly another poor tortoise going to a useless home.

I had another speak to me about their tortoise which after a conversation about getting the tortoise outside in the sun as much as possible, it turns out that they live in a flat with no garden and no veranda or anything. They thought it was okay to have the tortoise because it had exercise around the flat???????????? Appparently they could not afford a house - so why have a pet that needs to be outdoors?????? :? :? :? Some people.

So what can we do about this - Our BEST and hope that we get it right a lot more than wrong.
I would say that most of the ones I have rehomed have stayed in good homes but there is always one that let's you down.
Linda

Pre Alpin Foods, Seeds, Calcium, Hedgehog rescue http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
Donation given to Jill Martin Fund for every sale of pre alpin
Holiday Bungalow at http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk
Jonesy

Postby Julie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 am

I think that we have to review the situation of seizures that come in. As already said, without more foster carers coming forward, we simply dont have the homes waiting for alot of the Tortoises/Turtles that come in to be rehomed. Male Tortoises get left behind when they need homes, which is really sad, sometimes this applies for elderly Torts too, aswell as Turtles.
If we can get more foster carers on board, we may be able to help alot more Torts/ Turtles that come in. I think some members are reluctant to come forward and offer help because they think they dont qualify to foster. If you can show that you have knowledge of the species, and have space for another Tort etc, then why not apply.
If anyone would like to be a foster carer, then please follow the link below my signature. I will call you, email you, if you have any concerns/questions etc. You must be a fully paid up member of the Tortoise Trust.
There are alot of members on this forum, but how many foster carers come forward. The members who have fostered already, cant keep on rehoming to help us out, there is a limit to what they can do, but we are grateful to those who help us out. We also have alot of Leopard Tortoises that are in temporary foster homes, we have to get these sorted out eventually, and get them into 'forever homes'.
Julie

Postby insenceaddict » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:39 pm

It is the pet trade and thier massive imports that need to be responsible for the MISERY & expense they are creating. a lady i was speaking too, who had approached me for advice, had been to BASILDON Tortoise shop, owned by the W's who we all know and hate! she was told that they can get 2-300 at a time, when ever they want them! Thankfully, i caught her in time and directed her to a couple of groups, TT included whare captive breeders arte listsd and re homers are needign homes. that is what needs targetting!
is there no mileage in joining forces with another group such as TPG??? JMHO!
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby Julie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Has the TPG stopped their rehoming? i thought i read on there that the rehoming has been suspended.
Julie

Postby winnie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:59 pm

They're still putting posts on for torts needing homes.
winnie
3 horsfields
winnie

Postby Stuart » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:15 pm

winnie wrote:Probably a stupid question but is it totally out of the question to be able to return torts back to the wild, a bit like what these people do when they're trying to help the decreasing numbers of certain species?

I understand that some torts come in in bad health but are some of these illnesses/diseases carried by these torts naturally?.
Would it be possible to treat and return?. Could the torts cope with the stress?

I suppose this would probably be a waste of time doing anyway whilst there's still people importing you could end up with the same tort in again!

I did say it's probably a stupid question!

Winnie, I suspect you have fully answered your own question here!

Naturally occurring disease exacerbated by the mixing in close proximity of animals from different locations, would make return to the wild very unsafe, I imagine, putting at risk any local animals in the release areas?

Also, where would the animals be released? It would be impossible to return individuals to the place from which they were taken, because that would be unknown.

The long term aim must be to lobby successfully for a change in the law, which would restrict the sale of tortoises, perhaps initially to specimens of a certain size. There wouldn't be many who would impulse buy an adult leopard or sulcata, for example, and it would be obvious that they couldn't be housed in a viv...

OK, there would doubtless still be illegal imports, but that would be a start?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Stuart wrote:
winnie wrote:
Naturally occurring disease exacerbated by the mixing in close proximity of animals from different locations, would make return to the wild very unsafe, I imagine, putting at risk any local animals in the release areas?

Also, where would the animals be released? It would be impossible to return individuals to the place from which they were taken, because that would be unknown.

Precisely, Stuart. You could end up 'contaminating' a whole species in the wild not only genetically, but also with a devastating disease such as herpes or mycoplasma or something we don't even know about yet. It could turn a bad situation into an absolute catastrophe. The potential for disaster is incalculable.
Tortoise Trust

Postby winnie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 pm

I guess it's down to the big boys who play with the big toys to sort out.

So what exactly can we as a individuals do to help ?
winnie
3 horsfields
winnie

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:52 am

winnie wrote:
So what exactly can we as a individuals do to help ?

1) Never support the import trade.
2) Tell other people about the problems it is causing.
3) If you are looking for another animal - apply to foster/adopt from a rescue.
4) Do not take on more than you can realistically cope with. Do not get "out of your depth".
5) If you do adopt or foster follow the organisations rules or guidelines. They are there to protect the animal and your existing animals.If you have a problem, contact the organisation to discuss it.
6) Read up and research everything you can about the species you keep.
7) Recognise that everyone involved in rescue and rehoming is simply trying to do their best and that it is very difficult, emotionally draining, and challenging work. No-one can get it right 100% of the time. Try not to make things even more difficult for them than it already is. It is not about YOU and what YOU want (or demand) it is about doing whatever is in the best interests of the ANIMALS. Of the entire list, this is the one some people have the hardest time understanding.....

That all helps a lot.
Tortoise Trust

Postby misty123 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:10 pm

what do I have to do to get onto the rehomeing section as it has all changed sinceI was last on.. I am a fully payed up member have been for some time I may be doing somthing wrong jean barraclough. jm.barraclough@btinternet.com
misty123

PreviousNext

Return to General Tortoise and Turtle Topics